YAY!! The ghost babies have arrived!!!

Discussion in 'Ghost Shrimp' started by tunastrack, Dec 6, 2012.

1. tunastrack

tunastrack Well Known Member Member

So I posted a thread a few weeks back asking how to care for and hatch ghost shrimp eggs. I was instructed to take the momma with visible eggs and place her in a container. So I decided to wait for a couple of weeks so that she was nto in such a small unfiltered place for so long. So yesterday I noticed lil tiny eyes all under her belly where she holds the eggs. And new it was getting really close to the time that she would release them.

So last night I added her and a lil gravel and 2 fake plants to the container then tank water then her. This morning I checked on her and I see about NINE babies floating and darting around in there!!! She still has a ton under her belly. So I will not take her out until she has released them all. Im super excited!!

Ok, so what now? How long should I leave them in the container? What should I feed them? How often? Shouldnt I do frequent water changes since it is unfiltered? How long should I keep them seperated from the main tank?

It is quite endearing to me how these ghost mommas carry their eggs around with them every where they go for 3 weeks straight. Now that is love~! :)

2. J

JessiNoel21 Well Known Member Member

I feed mine live BB and powered NLS pellets. To clean I used a fish only turkey baster with a knee high over it so no babies got sucked up.

3. aquatic

aquatic Valued Member Member

Congrats. My ghosts are always getting berried but I never get anything out of them because I'm sure the guppies in the tank eat well those days. I might try taking one out just to try to raise them once like you did.

4. OP
    OP
    tunastrack

Thanks :)..Hopefully they thrive and do well. She is almost done releasing them now, I see maybe 3 sets of eyes left. I have two other females in there carring around eggs as well. I may add them in when I start to notice the eyes. I cant see making them stay in the container while the eggs are still green. Just seems cruel.

Jessi, is BB beneficial bacteria?? If so how do I feed that to them?

Also, how quickly do the babies grow??

5. OP
    OP
    tunastrack

Sadly after the 3rd day, and a container change to a Christmas Tree candy jar, my babies all turned snow white on me :(....I am not sure where I went wrong. Or if this is just a common thing with Ghost Shrimp. However I have 3 more girls holding on tight to their lil green eggs as we speak, so once I notice those cute lil eyes I will switch her over and hope for the best.

I think what might have happened is my duaghter put the lid tightly on the jar. It was kept that way until early afternoon the next day when I noticed it. Grrrr I hate loosing my aquatic pets...Even the smallest ones.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice