Yay or Nay? Coal Slag for substrate Question

1. April R

April R Well Known Member Member

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Blast-Media...565?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3391e03705

So I was thinking of using this to cap my dirted tank. It is my 20 gallon guppy/cory heavily planted tank and I have been battling a losing war with cloudy water from the Miracle Grow coming up through the current cap of Onyx Sand because of my stinking cories turning it up all the time :p Silly cute buggers.

My major issue is that my filters are getting hopelessly clogged with dirt, and I am tired of changing out the pads every other day with no change in the cloudiness of my water, even after major water changes of up to 75%.

If anyone has had experience with using coal slag in a planted tank please please please help!! Thanks :;toast

2. Marie1

Marie1 Well Known Member Member

I've never used it. The only issue I could see with it is it may be too sharp for the cory. But having never used or even seen it, I can't say for sure.

3. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

I have heard of a product called Black diamond blasting sand & some people have used the 20-30 grain size for corys with no ill effects.
    I don't know if that link you gave is a similar product, you could ask if they'd send you a sample to see whether it's sharp or not.

4. OP
    OP
    April R

great idea!

5. g

guppyguy76 Valued Member Member

Interesting.....I didn't know anything of a by product of coal would be suitable for aquariums. I live in PA and I have seen the toxic orange runoff in streams because of coal mining here north and west of where I live. My family is from the coal region originally.

6. Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_b Fishlore VIP Member

I would not trust anything that was the by-product of the mining process

7. Marie1

It's inert. It's used for sand blasting.

8. Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_b Fishlore VIP Member

9. Marie1

I found that same article and a few others when I first saw this thread. It seems to be perfectly safe. But like I posted before, I would be concerned on how sharp it might be for bottom dwellers.

I have used Black Diamond blasting sand myself, and it is much cheaper than the other the OP linked. http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/black-diamond-20-40-blasting-media-50-lb

If you look at the product description it is coal slag. Who knew ;)

10. Matt B

Matt B Well Known Member Member

As far as blasting media with bottom dwellers I hatched and grew out a group of Sterbais (30-40 individuals) in a tank with black diamond as the substrate. No ill effects were noticed aside from a rather low die off of about 10-15% and they lived on it literally from the time they were born to about 3-4 months when I moved them out. they are adults now and seem perfectly normal to me.

If it didn't bother their yolk sacs just after hatching I really have a hard time imagining a fish hurting themselves on it.

11. OP
    OP
    April R

thanks for the discussion and linked articles guys! I am definitely going to save up and get some, then re-scape my 20 gallon. It is long due anyway.