Yay! New fish(ies)!

Sparkling Diamonds

Reaction score
Alright, so I won an auction for a beautiful golden halfmoon betta on aquabid last week, and he really is stunning (His name is Helios). He just arrived in the mail this morning! I've still got him in the bag warming up in his new home...just adjusting to the temp, you know? Well, when I opened up the box that he came in, I got a bit of a shock! The breeder, also sent me his golden brother! However, when I took a closer look, his brother has tail rot.

My mother's suggestion was to flush him. But honest to god, my little heart died when she said that. Put a live fish, in a toilet that's full of ammonia, and all the chlorine, and other chemicals?! I couldn't possibly! So i'm about to go out, and buy my second tank for Helios' brother. I haven't got a name yet... But I want to try to heal him, these fish are so beautiful, I couldn't possibly sit around innocently enough knowing that I killed him.

Helios is the greek sun god, who would ride a horse draw chariot across the sky and change night to day, and day to night again. I loved it. But now, i've got two! Haha. I'll get a pic or a few once I get the tank set up and I'll ask for you guys to help with some names.  ;D

I just felt like sharing this information with all of you.  I'm suprisingly happy, since I just got a free, sick fish that I haven't got a home for... but I love him already... I just want to make him all better, you know?  :-*

Here's the picture of Helios that was on Aquabid.
62.jpg

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
He's a handsome Betta! Beautiful coloring.. you know, if you need a home for his brother...

Glad you didn't take your mother's suggestion - she must think flushing is instant-death rather than long, agonizing death for a fish.. What are you planning on treating his tail rot with? Fungus Clear, Maracyn-2 or TriSulfa?

If you're wanting to keep to the Sun mythology.. maybe Apollo?

Looking forward to pics and good luck getting the tail rot cleared out.

Phloxface

Well Known
Reaction score
Flush a fish just because of finrot? That is just horrifying!! :'( :'( I'm so glad you didn't do it. Keep us updated on their progress. I hope his finrot clears up really soon. It may have been the stress of shipping that caused it. Keep a close eye on the other fish too in case he gets it.

heatmisr

Reaction score
Helios is beautiful and I am sure his brother is just as handsome.  It's nice that the breeders give you free fish, but don't you wish you knew they were coming so you could be ready for them?....lol.  Ahhhh well, now you will have twice the fun since you have two new boys to bond with!  :)

Nicole

ETA: typo

nmwierman1977

Well Known
Reaction score
Gee, are you sure you weren't bidding on 2 and just thought you were bidding on 1. That's is so exciting. Congratulations! Helios is a very handsome guy. I'm glad you didn't flush him down the toilet. Can't wait to see pics. Natalie

emilai333

Reaction score
Congratulations on your new acquisitions... Can't wait to see pics of them both... Helios looks gorgeous.

I can't stand it when people think it is OK to flush live fish. I fought with my mom several times last summer because she thought it was funny to suggest that I do just that to all six of my HEALTHY fish. Grr. Well, glad you didn't take your mom's suggestion, and are going to take care of the brother.

antisen

Reaction score
For a name, how about Ra? He's the sun-god of Ancient Egypt, considered the highest and most important of Gods as he provided light and life.
Good luck with the tail rot! I'm sure he'll be fine and you'll be happy to have him.

Whitney

OP
S

Sparkling Diamonds

Reaction score
^_^ Thank you all!

-FLBettaCouple-

I'm giving him Maracyn-2. It's his third day on it, today and he's actually doing quite well! I haven't seen it spread or get worse... I thought about Apollo, and grew really attached to that name. <33 I love it, and it really suits him. Though, I also read Antisen's post and thought about calling him Ra. Finny story about that, I invited a friend over when they arrived, and I told her that I wanted to name him Ra, and she's a vegetarian... Well, then she told me that it wasn't a good name... I asked why? And she said Ra Fish wasn't a good name.  ;D So, it made me love the name Apollo more. I'm working on getting pictures. You guys will have to excuse me but because of the meds, Apollo's tank is a bit murky.

Friday after my mom got home from work she was appalled to see that I had gotten another tank for a "Rotting fish!" She just doesn't understand anything. -Anyways!-

I absolutely love them both, and don't have the heart to flush him, that would be awful! ^_^ Anywho- Thank you for all your kind words, and suggestions. I've named the brother Apollo. And then I've got Helios. And I have to admit, when I first got him, he had a bit of a rip in his tail, so I've had a close eye on him to make sure his "rip" doesn't become fin rot as well. It might just be a fold in his tail...that's what i'm hoping anyways. I'm also planning on getting pictures up tonight, or tomorrow afternoon, between classes. And I apologise about my absence, my fiancee is in the Navy, and he came down for my birthday this weekend.  ;D

Timesdragonfly

Reaction score
I think Ra Fish is absolutly hillarious!!! LOL! Hehe, that's something I may name one of mine someday!!! He he he... (this is coming from someone who named her Funeral Home office fish Grim! hehehe...

Anyway, good luck getting the fin rot under control. If the maracyn two doesn't kick it, I'd add maracyn to the mix and use them as a combo. that's what cleared up Grims fin rot!!!

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Cool. I'll look forward to hearing that Apollo has started fin regrowth before too long. Too bad about your mom - some people just don't want to open up to the fact that fish really are great pets. I know quite a few myself. Hope she comes around one day.

If you're concerned about that possible tear in Helios' tail fin, if you felt like it you could add something like NovAqua+ to his water, but even just keeping the water clean & warm could do the trick. Hope it's just a fold in his tail too. I'm sure you'll get a lot of replies when you post pics.. maybe a close up of both tail fins too.

cherryrose

Well Known
Reaction score
I think Apollo is a wonderful name for your new little guy. Ra Fish is a funny name, but it is also cute.

I can't wait to see pictures.

CherryRose

antisen

Reaction score
It's strange how some people just don't GET fish. When I told one of my friends that my betta had fin rot, she just said "why don't you get another one? They're only a few dollars!" and another friend told me he'd "buy it a friend" knowing full well that bettas fight >

I totally hadn't put together "Ra" and "Fish" that way, but now I think it's kinda cute. I'm sure as soon as I develop MTS in my bigger apartment, I'll start giving all my new fish mythological names.

Good to hear Apollo is doing better! Also can't wait to see pictures.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
antisen said:
It's strange how some people just don't GET fish. When I told one of my friends that my betta had fin rot, she just said "why don't you get another one? They're only a few dollars!" and another friend told me he'd "buy it a friend" knowing full well that bettas fight >

I totally hadn't put together "Ra" and "Fish" that way, but now I think it's kinda cute. I'm sure as soon as I develop MTS in my bigger apartment, I'll start giving all my new fish mythological names.

Good to hear Apollo is doing better! Also can't wait to see pictures.
Yea.. people don't get why we'd spend so much on 'just a fish'. I remind them that these are intelligent pets with lots of character and what makes an animal a pet is the love & bond you have with it. You wouldn't throw a puppy out because it had fleas and these are our "underwater puppies" - they love our attention, they shamelessly beg for food, they drive us nuts at times, they're playful & curious.

I think our MTS will lead us to a "betta room" when we get a place that we can devote a full room to mating a Betta pair (Hopefully Angel & a lucky white male). We'll need a ton of time & money too.

OP
S

Sparkling Diamonds

Reaction score
Hmmm well, I swam around with my fishies for a couple hours gazing at them and admiring them... and got a few pictures with my cell phone. Let me tell you, Helios doesn't mind getting pictures taken at all! He loves the attention, and he poses! Where as, Apollo is much more camera shy. I also managed to get a couple videos. So, I'm going to give this a go, and I do ask for your forgiveness when it comes to the shakiness of the camera... since it was my cell phone, I was also holding it close and you can hear my breathing, so I suggest you turn your speakers off if you wanna watch them. haha! Anywho- On to the long awaited pictures and videos!

Url to the video of Helios-
Url to the Helios' Sequel-
Url to the video of Apollo-

Yay Pictures!!
First, Apollo (He got more pictures, because I was trying to get a good one or two of his tail, but Helios has one more video, so that's like a ton more little pictures... haha)
clear.gif
clear.gif

clear.gif
clear.gif

clear.gif

And now Helios' two pics.
clear.gif
clear.gif

I remembered a suggestion to get pics of their tails, so I tried to get good ones of when they're all sprawled out and lovely. I'm terribly sorry about all the Motorola signs... haha like I said cell phone= camera.. And the blurriness... I can't figure out how to fix that yet. :-\

Well, i'm always reading through the threads waiting to hear for medications that help with fin rot, i'm still unsure actually... all I know of is maracyn a nd maracyn two. So, if anyone else has any suggestions as to whatelse I could use to help Apollo it would be greatly appreciated. I get paid this coming friday, and after spending my last one pretty much on college books and Apollo's new tank... this next paycheck can be used to buy Apollo's meds and a propoer water testing kit. My mom's a bit partial because the father that she hates used to breed bettas, so now that i'm getting into it, she's quite bitter. (Even though he's in England and we're in Oregon!) That's why she's being a cow about it all. I'm just tired of her always giving me her **** about it. 8) ^_^ Thank you CherryRose! I'm in love with three main men in my life, two of which are aquatic! haha

Attachments

antisen

Reaction score
Jungle Labs Fungus Clear Tank Buddies cured Dory's fin rot when Maracyn and Maracyn 2 did not. So that's my suggestion. Be careful of the tank decor you have while you're treating, though, the Tank Buddies turn your water blue-green and can permanently stain stuff that color.

That last picture is absolutely gorgeous btw

OP
S

Sparkling Diamonds

Reaction score
Muchos Gracias Antisen! I am quite fond of that picture, myself. xP

Hmm so, i'm thinking that I'll get that fungus clear stuff, as well as a new filter because the one that I have for Apollo's tank is noisy, and makes a ton of awful bubbles on the top of the tank and it looks terrible, not to mention it's hard to sleep with it. haha

If the meds do end up staining the decor, I don't really mind. The plants came free with the tank, and the cave is Apollo's little home, I won't take that away. I wonder if fish see in black and white like dogs? If that's the case, then the color change won't mean anything to Apollo. haha Definitely need to get a new filter though. I'll also take a peek at the TriSulfa, since I read that working for someone here, in the forum.

nmwierman1977

Well Known
Reaction score
Aw the pics and videos are co cute. You really do have beautiful bettas. Good luck with the treating the finrot. Natalie

antisen

Reaction score
For free decor that came with the tank, that stuff looks pretty cool! It took me so long to get used to the sound of my filter and aerator when going to bed, so I know what you mean... Oh, and sorry if you already know this, but make sure to take the carbon out of the filter before you medicate. That's all! Again good luck

Whitney

OP
S

Sparkling Diamonds

Reaction score
Thank you Natalie! I went out and got other meds incase the Maracyn-2 doesn't work. And Petco didn't have Maracyn or the Jungle Labs Fungus Clear Tank Buddies when I went today, so i'm trying out Gel Tek Penecillin. I read in here that it worked for someone when when the pellets were covered with it, and then I got this stuff called Betta Revive, it's by the same company that makes the Betta Bio Gold pellets, Hikari. So i'm hoping that will work too. Though I took a good peek at Apollot this morning and i'm beginning to see regrowth! Well, maybe i'm just getting my hopes up and it's just deterioration, but there's clear webbing between the torn bit in his tail, i'm quite pleased. We'll see wht tomorrow brings I suppose. And I got him a new filter to get rid of those ugly bubbles.

Whitney- Just the plants came with the tank, haha. I went and bought the cave and rocks and such. And there isn't any carbon in the filter yet. What is that for? And where would I put it in the filter? Though, I did know that carbon got rid of the meds and was pointless. xP Thanks for the info though! I appreciate all the help I can get! haha. <3

New Threads