Yay! I've decided to get an oscar!

Ant

So I'm cleaning out my fish tank in the next few days. Only thing I'm keeping is Silver dollars (3), A Ghost Knifefish, and a few small fish that will be food. I will probably get rid of the silvers, but I'm attached to one although I don't want to get more and I know there should be like 6.

Anyhow... I have some rough rocks in the tank but I'm going to change the tank out for a 100 gallon and let it cycle for 2 months before rehousing the fish. Do oscars get lonely by themselves? Should I get a tiger and an albino?

There is a huge oscar at my LFS and he's so cool looking! He tries to eat my finger through the glass and he always follows me around. I'm exited to have a carnivorous fish that I can feed little fishes. I would go do it right now but we got like 17" of snow last night. :;sman

Fashooga

Oscars are like dogs...they love it when your in the area and they'll watch you do whatever your doing, be it watching TV, eating or just reading a book.

Ant

That is so cool, sounds like they are smart. Well as smart as a fish can be. Sooo... I can put him in a jug and take him for "walks" when I leave the house? LOL

Fashooga

I had an Oscar a long time ago when I was a kid. He was a great fish to have. I remember giving him frozen shrimp. My brother and I would get a long strip of it and let it float on the top. He didn't eat it right away and we always though of that frozen strip being a ship.

When "ship" started to sink we would tell ourselves "AHHH the ship is sinking help me!" and the fish would eat the little "people".

I was a kid...I imagine!

Ant

That's funny, I think I will play that out for my daughter. Your memory will live on!

Dondomingo

I support the oscar choice obviously

Oscars are solitary when mature, only seeking company for mating. Juvinilles like company for safety reasons when they are young but start getting into bickering as teens. 125 long is the standard for a pair if you do decide on multiple oscars with other fish.

Just remember although there are plenty of videos of people feeding Goldfish to oscars, had they really been interested in fish care versus the "shock value" of feeding a fish to another fish for their friends entertainment they would realize that goldfish are the worst food choice to feed an Oscar.

ricmcc

The main problem that you will encounter by using "feeder fish" is that they are going to need quarantine even more than most fish that you buy, given that they receive very little care at pet shops. And as is pointed out above, they are far from being nutritionally complete--you could feed them high quality Goldfish food to gut load them during quarantine, but I think it easier and safer just to feed your Oscar properly---they have a lot more going for them than just their feeding habits. They do look great with silver dollars, BTW.---rick

Dondomingo

Good point Ricmcc, not only are they kept as feeders in bad conditions, the main reason is that Goldfish in particular have a enzyme that inhibits the production of Vitamin B-1 , so not a good idea for growth.

I would breed or buy white cloud mountain minnows if your set on live foods. Easy to breed. Live aquaria sells them in a 50 pack. The occasional frozen beef heart and a good quality appropriate sized cichlid pellet. A varied healthy diet is key to prevent HtH and other unhappy oscar problems.

Ant

I would never feed them goldfish, just Bettas! Just kidding, I figure a diet of pellets, brine shrimp, bloodworms, and the occasional live foods as a treat and to satisfy predatory instincts. I keep quite a bit of different foods for my fish

TheBettaBar

Aw I loved my oscar so much! He was the friendliest, most interactive fish I ever had. I miss him );

buzz4520

Dondomingo said:
I support the oscar choice obviously
+1 for the oscar choice.

Ant said:
I would never feed them goldfish, just Bettas! Just kidding, I figure a diet of pellets, brine shrimp, bloodworms, and the occasional live foods as a treat and to satisfy predatory instincts. I keep quite a bit of different foods for my fish
Also as a treat you could give some fruits and vegstables. My oscars will eat shelled peas, cucumber, green beans, carrots, just to name a few. As for fruits they will eat banana, skined : white grapes, black cherries, pears, apples.

emmynk

Ahhh i've always wanted an Oscar! Good luck!

Ant

Thanks for the replies! Hopefully I will have some pictures soon!

sophieydg

That's so exciting! I hope to get an oscar one day.

Ant

So I got my new little oscar! But there's still other fish in the tank I need to move out, and all he does is hide at the moment. He pushed the bgk out of his hiding spot haha. When should I expect him to come out of hiding?

Edit, he's out moving about after a few days. I need to name him!

buzz4520

Ant said:
So I got my new little oscar! But there's still other fish in the tank I need to move out, and all he does is hide at the moment. He pushed the bgk out of his hiding spot haha. When should I expect him to come out of hiding?

Edit, he's out moving about after a few days. I need to name him!
Congrats on the oscar.....it's a cutie ! Give him time to get settled in, oscars don't take well to change sometimes, may even sult/pout for a few days or so. Don't worry it's normal.

Rivieraneo

Very nice orange on him.

Ant

Thanks! They all look the same to me, I can't wait for him to grow up! Notice the neon tetra in the pic? I wonder how long till he is food"?

buzz4520

Ant said:
Thanks! They all look the same to me, I can't wait for him to grow up! Notice the neon tetra in the pic? I wonder how long till he is food"?
Don't rush it....lol....they'll grow up soon enough. Before you know it, your little guy will look like this:

Ant

We'll ... He died:''(

Water perimeters are perfect, I haven't lost a fish in forever, and I had done a 40% water change too. I just think he might of been too shocked in the move. Every now and then fish just don't make it through the transition.

I may get an oscar that's a little more grown.

buzz4520

So Sorry for your loss !

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom