Yay! I'm Cycled, Right?

emmysjj

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
My 10 has been cycling for weeks. I was this close to giving up, so I tested. 0,0,30. Yay! Just to make sure, I tested tap for nitrates. 0 nitrates. Should I dose again? I had it at 4 ppm.

Also, which fish should I stock first? I'm doing guppies and endlers (4 guppies, 3 endlers). What should I stock first? How many for each 'load'?

Jenoli42

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
emmysjj said:
My 10 has been cycling for weeks. I was this close to giving up, so I tested. 0,0,30. Yay! Just to make sure, I tested tap for nitrates. 0 nitrates. Should I dose again? I had it at 4 ppm.

Also, which fish should I stock first? I'm doing guppies and endlers (4 guppies, 3 endlers). What should I stock first? How many for each 'load'?
CONGRATS!

How long did your tank take to process 4ppm ammonia? if it was 24 hours or less with no nitrites, you're cycled! horrah!

i would suggest a 50% water change to lower your nitrates and then you can stock. i'm no good on livebearers in terms of if they are territorial, but my gut says stock the smaller stock first (3 endlers), wait a week to see if there are any blips in your cycle, and then stock the 4 guppies. others may have better advice tho

Lorekeeper

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I'd dose one more time, just to be sure.

As for stocking, I'd be careful with that combo. You'll probably want all males, because with females, you'll have fry. Even worse, the endlers and guppies might interbreed, causing some "mutts" in the process.

I'd personally do 3 male endlers, and 3 male guppies. You can stock up from there.

As for aggression, guppies and endlers are usually pretty peaceful. You might see a bit of nipping every now and then, or even a fish getting chased, but more than likely nothing will come of it.

emmysjj

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Jenoli42 said:
CONGRATS!

How long did your tank take to process 4ppm ammonia? if it was 24 hours or less with no nitrites, you're cycled! horrah!

i would suggest a 50% water change to lower your nitrates and then you can stock. i'm no good on livebearers in terms of if they are territorial, but my gut says stock the smaller stock first (3 endlers), wait a week to see if there are any blips in your cycle, and then stock the 4 guppies. others may have better advice tho
I don't know, I'm going to dose again

If I wait a week, will the bacteria stay alive?

Lorekeeper said:
I'd dose one more time, just to be sure.

As for stocking, I'd be careful with that combo. You'll probably want all males, because with females, you'll have fry. Even worse, the endlers and guppies might interbreed, causing some "mutts" in the process.

I'd personally do 3 male endlers, and 3 male guppies. You can stock up from there.

As for aggression, guppies and endlers are usually pretty peaceful. You might see a bit of nipping every now and then, or even a fish getting chased, but more than likely nothing will come of it.
Will do!

I'm getting all males, for sure.

What do you mean? Do 3 of each altogether? or start with that? I'm also going to add amano shrimp (last)

Lorekeeper

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
The bacteria would likely starve in a week.

I'd add the endlers first. Add all three, wait a week or two, and then add the guppies. Then, the amanos a few weeks after that, so they have some algae to eat.

emmysjj

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Update: Not sure what I dosed to last night (around 35 drops) but my ammonia is 1.0 ppm (def dosed higher than that), and... 5.0ppm nitrites! YAY!

Okay, you may be wondering why I'm so excited over nitrites. In both tanks, I've never has a nitrite spike. Ever. API gave me a defective bottle. I recently had them replace it. Still nothing. When I dosed again, boom! Nitrites! Obvioly, I'm going to have to wait a day or two, but I hopefully won't have a mini cycle this time, which is good, because I'm working with slightly less hardy species (my other 10 gallon has a betta).

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom