Yay... Ich’s back

DollyDolly

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I was going to feed my 29 today and I noticed some ich on every single tetra and I don’t think I saw any one my other fish yet. I have 7 small tetras in there. I am currently treating with a little bit of salt and 83 F. Once ich falls off I’ll start treating with salt. I was wondering how it had happened though. I was doing a WC about 2 days ago (20%). I remove the amount of water and measure the temperature of the tap water coming out. It’s I hook up my diy siphon hose to the sink and put dechlorinator in before I put any water in. Then I let the water go slow so there isn’t disruption in the water flow. It’s winter here so my tap water changes temperature on its own during some of my wcs. When I feel it at first it’s 77 but at the end it’s 45. Could this have caused the stress of my tetras? Should I get more tetras once the ich is gone because maybe the school is too small? My water perimeters (ammonia nitrates and nitrates) are always very low. I’m stumped as to why it happened

A201

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Bump the temp up to 86 - 87 degrees for 10 days. No real need for salt. An abrupt lowering of temp can stress tropical fish, weakening them, and making them more vulnerable to disease.

TFrost

Reaction score
I recently treated ich by raising the temp to 86 as mentioned with no salt at all. I’m currently on day 10 and all fish are clear. I do a quick gravel vac every other day too

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Salt does not kill ich. And only raising the temp to 83 will just increase the speed that the ich reproduce. At 86°F or higher, they can't reproduce. So turn the temp up as @A201 suggested and save the salt for your soup, not your tank. It's only use is to improve gill function and osmoregulation in stressed fish, possibly help with slime coat, possibly prevent secondary infections and possibly aid in small wound and fin healing. It doesn't cure or treat any infections or parasites.
Also, put a couple of airstones in your tank. Warm water doesn't hold dissolved oxygen well and you need to help with that while the temps are up.
How much does the temp of your tank drop after a water change?
You can run warm water from your tap right? Run water to clear the pipes, then turn tap on and temp match it to your tank.
What exactly are your water parameters (-the numbers)?

JettsPapa

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
DollyDolly said:
Should I get more tetras once the ich is gone because maybe the school is too small? My water perimeters (ammonia nitrates and nitrates) are always very low. I’m stumped as to why it happened
I wouldn't necessarily say your school is too small, but if 7 tetras is all you have in a 29 gallon tank you certainly have room for more. You said small tetras. What kind? Neons, cardinals, ember, or something else?

DollyDolly

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
JettsPapa said:
I wouldn't necessarily say your school is too small, but if 7 tetras is all you have in a 29 gallon tank you certainly have room for more. You said small tetras. What kind? Neons, cardinals, ember, or something else?
I have 1 Neon and 6 cardinals
A201 said:
Bump the temp up to 86 - 87 degrees for 10 days. No real need for salt. An abrupt lowering of temp can stress tropical fish, weakening them, and making them more vulnerable to disease.
Ok I’ll do that now
Momgoose56 said:
Salt does not kill ich. And only raising the temp to 83 will just increase the speed that the ich reproduce. At 86°F or higher, they can't reproduce. So turn the temp up as @A201 suggested and save the salt for your soup, not your tank. It's only use is to improve gill function and osmoregulation in stressed fish, possibly help with slime coat, possibly prevent secondary infections and possibly aid in small wound and fin healing. It doesn't cure or treat any infections or parasites.
Also, put a couple of airstones in your tank. Warm water doesn't hold dissolved oxygen well and you need to help with that while the temps are up.
How much does the temp of your tank drop after a water change?
You can run warm water from your tap right? Run water to clear the pipes, then turn tap on and temp match it to your tank.
What exactly are your water parameters (-the numbers)?
ok thanks for the advice

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
DollyDolly said:
I have 1 Neon and 6 cardinals

Ok I’ll do that now

ok thanks for the advice
If you do decide to treat the ich with heat, be sure to keep the temp at 86-87 for at least 5 or 6 days after the last spot is gone from all of the fish.
You should probably add some more neons at least to the 'herd' lol! With them, 'one' is a lonely number! A couple more cardinals wouldn't hurt either. Good luck and let us know how things work out.

DollyDolly

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Momgoose56 said:
If you do decide to treat the ich with heat, be sure to keep the temp at 86-87 for at least 5 or 6 days after the last spot is gone from all of the fish.
You should probably add some more neons at least to the 'herd' lol! With them, 'one' is a lonely number! A couple more cardinals wouldn't hurt either. Good luck and let us know how things work out.
Thanks. The neon schools with the cardinals. I had more neons but they got wiped out from another wave of ich. First tome it’s in my 29 though

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom