Yay! Angelfish Eggs! Help!!!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by jamie2201, Apr 18, 2017.

1. jamie2201

jamie2201Valued MemberMember

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Just found these angelfish eggs on the side of my internal filter I need some help I don't know what to do I've turned off the filter (my cannister filter is leaking and can't be used) they are in a 4foot community tank do I take all the eggs out and put them into another tank on their own or do I take the parents with them or just mum/ just dad my LFS does NOT sell baby brine shrimp or eggs and I can't get them imported (stupid state laws) generally have no clue what to do and I would love for as many as possible to survive HELP

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Witch one is mum/dad both photos taken at same
    Time today

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2017
  2. DacotaNew MemberMember

Also angelfish look after there fry till they get bored with them.
    Hope that helped!
    Sorry if you just have to search the tab instead of just clicking it!

3. OP
    OP
    jamie2201

4. MikeRad89

MikeRad89Well Known MemberMember

Just let the parents do their thing. They're instinctively excellent parents. Even in a community tank you should have some fry survive.

5. OP
    OP
    jamie2201

How long do they usually lay for and how many fry should I expect? The circle of eggs is getting bigger and bigger

6. MikeRad89

MikeRad89Well Known MemberMember

Females can lay hundreds of eggs. New parents are notoriously bad at fertizing and caring for the fry.

It take time for them to learn

If you have 10 fry survive to adulthood you're a winner.

7. OP
    OP
    jamie2201

8. Mcasella

McasellaFishlore VIPMember

The gold is a female, by the tube on her belly. You may have two females the eggs will all turn white. If they have been fertilized they will have visible dots where the eyes are start to develop in the eggs a day before they start trying to hatch out.
    Both new pairs that I had where bad at parenting but good at fertilizing (the most recent one dad decided the eggs were caviar and I had to remove him, mom has never eaten her eggs and she laid by herself for several months before getting a mate she liked enough to let him fertilize the eggs).

9. OP
    OP
    jamie2201

unfortunately none of the eggs survived some how the heater got unplugged and when I woke the temp was down at 10C ( don't know if it's the reason they didn't survive)

10. Mcasella

Probably, though hardy at most times temp drops are murder (I have two surviving babies from an incident like that).

11. OP
    OP
    jamie2201

I wish I knew how it got unplugged this time I'm going to leave them to do what there going to do

12. Austin88

Austin88Valued MemberMember

Sorry to hear about the eggs. It's odd but they both look female to me from the pictures. It's not the most likely explanation, but I guess it's a possibility.

13. OP
    OP
    jamie2201

I'm not sure what they are to be honest all the eggs were brown I was told that meant they were fertile but it's the very first time ive seen fish eggs ever so I wouldn't have a clue

14. Austin88

Austin88Valued MemberMember

All my eggs appear brown to start, but turn white over the next two days until some hatch. Even the infertile eggs seem normal at first. The mere presence of the sperm doesn't change the immediate appearance.

15. Mcasella

They start turning white after 24 hours have passed, they continue turning white until the fertile eggs have hatched, the parents should remove these white eggs or remove the wigglers from them once they hatch.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice