Y'all want to hear something kinda crazy? (Or stupid idk lol)

Timberwolf222

Reaction score
so right before I left to go back to school in august I had a tank break and I lost a few fish but I tossed the ones that lived in a new tank (new filter, gravel, decor, water, etc everything new) and my schooling fishes were down to "schools" of 1 and 2 but I had to leave, so they underwent a fish in cycle but my mom didnt do anything other than feed them. she said they never showed any signs of stress (I said what to watch for) and I had tried to set the tank up to take care of itself. I just got home and they all look fine. before doing a water change or anything I took some water to my lfs and had them test it (I only have strips) today and they said the water was perfect. lol it hasnt had a water change since august (or well technically ever)

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Timberwolf222 said:
so right before I left to go back to school in august I had a tank break and I lost a few fish but I tossed the ones that lived in a new tank (new filter, gravel, decor, water, etc everything new) and my schooling fishes were down to "schools" of 1 and 2 but I had to leave, so they underwent a fish in cycle but my mom didnt do anything other than feed them. she said they never showed any signs of stress (I said what to watch for) and I had tried to set the tank up to take care of itself. I just got home and they all look fine. before doing a water change or anything I took some water to my lfs and had them test it (I only have strips) today and they said the water was perfect. lol it hasnt had a water change since august (or well technically ever)
They always say perfect. Then they sell you something. Get a test kit and test your own water. It's not perfect if it hasn't had a water change in 4 months. At minimum your pH is screwy or your GH is sky high.

OP
T

Timberwolf222

Reaction score
Momgoose56 said:
They always say perfect. Then they sell you something. Get a test kit and test your own water. It's not perfect if it hasn't had a water change in 4 months. At minimum your pH is screwy or your GH is sky high.
I mean I watched them test it and compared it to the charts myself but sure i'm sure they lied. but no they didn't try to sell me anything either. I don't have a kit I just have strips but those said the same thing as the test they did in the store. I have the strips but only took it in cause I was curious for some to test it with an actual kit to see if it agreed. cause it was so good I thought the strips were wrong but nope

MacZ

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Give us some more details please, what filter, substrate and plants?

Also maybe write down the readings whenever you let a LFS test you water.

Sorg67

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Momgoose56 said:
At minimum your pH is screwy or your GH is sky high.
Why do you say this?

MacZ said:
I am curious about this too.

What size tank?

Exactly what kind and how many fish?

MacZ

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sorg67 said:
Why do you say this
Just a guess, but if they only topped off evaporation, that means a lot of the dissolved elements that contribute to hardness would accumulate. Though in my opinion most of the carbonates and calcium should have layered on the glass around the waterline. Except it got filled up above that line again regularly the GH should only gone up by a few degrees.

OP
T

Timberwolf222

Reaction score
MacZ said:

Also maybe write down the readings whenever you let a LFS test you water.
Sorg67 said:
Why do you say this?

I am curious about this too.

What size tank?

Exactly what kind and how many fish?
MacZ said:
Just a guess, but if they only topped off evaporation, that means a lot of the dissolved elements that contribute to hardness would accumulate. Though in my opinion most of the carbonates and calcium should have layered on the glass around the waterline. Except it got filled up above that line again regularly the GH should only gone up by a few degrees.
Y'all are taking this so serious lol I just thought it was funny

but if you really wanna know:
it's a 20 long with an aqueon filter (for 20 gallons lol)
there is only like a half inch of gravel (like I said, threw it together quick cause I had to leave)
it's mostly fake décor tho there's one real rock and a piece of driftwood and there's like 8 live plants, 6 of a tall kinda spindly one and 2 shorter ones with wider leave, idk the names
theres is a ton of algae too if you wanna count that as a plant lol

as for fish: a couple snails, 1 tetra, 2 barbs, a ram, a female betta

I also covered the tank with saran wrap with a flap that my mom could lift up to feed, so there wasn't a lot of evaporation, she said she probably put in less than a gallon while I was gone
there's also an ecobio stone in there cause I knew that itd have to cycle

as for writing my readings down I did lol:
ph 7.4
ammonia 0ppm
nitrite 0ppm
nitrate 0ppm (had a tiny tint to it so might've been 2ppm that's what they said)
gh 6
kh 6

Sorg67

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks for the details. It is interesting and an opportunity to learn.

My guess is that with the low bio-load, the algae consumed the ammonia and nitrates.

OP
T

Timberwolf222

Reaction score
Sorg67 said:
Thanks for the details. It is interesting and an opportunity to learn.

My guess is that with the low bio-load, the algae consumed the ammonia and nitrates.
makes sense to me
the ecostone also releases bacteria thatre supposed to take care of those too I think

New Threads