Yaaaaay snails /sarcasm

Dark_Rider2k3

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hey everyone! Just had a quick question for you all. Now, I know about methods of snail removal, but they are, well, drastic.. I really don't want to have to scrub down the tank and re-do the cycle.

I heard, though, that there are fish that eat the snails.. now obviously this won't get rid of them all, but it will at least control the population and keep them from messing up my filter (i didn't realize how bad it was until I went to clean the filter and saw the mess).

So yeah.. I'm just curious of what fish eat snails.... preferably smaller sized fish that could live in a 30gal tank.

Thanks my fishlore friends!!!

Dark_Rider2k3

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Last edited:

firemouthfreak

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Clown Loaches get too big for a 30 gallon, I wouldn't recommend Clown loaches. Do it the old fashion way and take them out with your hands.. I had to do that to my tank It may take a while but that would control the population a bit..

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
You weigh down a lettuce leaf, stick it on a plate, and put it in the tank at night. In the morning, you pull it out and trash it.

Or you get a couple of assassin snails.

Oh, and you don't overfeed.

Dark_Rider2k3

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Yeah I knew about the not overfeeding.

I think the whole reason I'm in this mess was from a few months ago when I told you all about my friend's son who dumped fish food into the tank. I got most of it out but yeah.

You don't think they will die off on their own do ya? Sine I don't over-feed? I'm going to see if my LFS has assassin snails, and I'll try the lettuce trick.

Steve420

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Some snails are good for a planted aquarium. I'd consider keeping them. A snail like MTS will help heavy root feeders by stirring around the substrate, etc...
and I'm pretty positive that if you control the feeding of the tank, the snail population will level itself off. If there is no food, then some will eventually die off.

Plus, snails give a planted tank a natural look IMHO.

Geez, I must be one of the only Fishlorians that actually LIKES his snails ;-)

Dark_Rider2k3

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Some snails are good for a planted aquarium. I'd consider keeping them. A snail like MTS will help heavy root feeders by stirring around the substrate, etc...
and I'm pretty positive that if you control the feeding of the tank, the snail population will level itself off. If there is no food, then some will eventually die off.

Plus, snails give a planted tank a natural look IMHO.

Geez, I must be one of the only Fishlorians that actually LIKES his snails ;-)
Yeah it's not that I don't like them.. it's just they are everywhere.. and I'm almost 100% positive it was due to my friend's son (though I can't be mad at him lol)

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I like snails too!

I've been researching the snail control options as I have MTS and ramshorns on the way and I'm terrified of what could happen. I'm by far an expert but I've been reading about the dwarf chain loaches. They are small, like 2" and eat small snails, the only kicker is that they need to be in groups of at least 5. Almost all loaches need to be in groups unfortunately for us with nearly-stocked tanks.

But I might opt for the :;nin snails. I find it hilarious that one snail hunts down another but I'm not really sure where I'd put them. Assassin snails have been reported to eat shrimp so I can't keep them in my 5g, but I need MTS in my 37g because I have sand and MTS are good for gravel too (20g). Oh the decisions...

-Lisa

Steve420

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Haha..understood.

Then I'd suggest the lettuce trick for a couple of nights to reduce the overall amount.

Then, like I mentioned, the population should control itself as long as your not overfeeding....at least they do in my tanks ;-)

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Baiting, manual removal & the Dwarf Chain Loaches are the way to go in smaller tanks like yours. Assasin Snails will only eat one or two snails each day & that's just not going to help IMO.

Introduce the 4-5 Chain Loaches. Use a bait & manual removal for a few days to get the numbers of larger snails down. Once the majority of the large snails are gone, the Chain Loaches will keep the numbers under control as long as you don't over feed. Chain loaches are good for eating the snail eggs & the smaller snails but no good for the larger ones. They are really cool fish to.

Nate McFin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Assassin snails will completely eradicate a snail population. I was completely over run by pond snails ( I removed at least 30 per day!!!) in my 20G. I added 10 assassin snails and within 3 months the pond snails were gone completely. I now have a snail breeding tank for feeders for them.I added 50 ramshorns 2 weeks ago as feeders and they are gone from my tank already.
Assassins breed very slowly so my assassin population has only increased by 5 or so. They are very efficient imo at dealing with pest snail problems but it will take a few months.

Last edited:

anaugle

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I love snails!!
I put a couple Trumpets in my Betta tank cause it has sand substrate but He is very aggressive towards them. He crushes them literally. I found pieces of the shells everywhere. My YoYo loaches love to eat them too. Not as much as my Betta but they keep the population down in my tank.
I agree with the lettuce trick or hand pick them out.

Good luck.....

BritJo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Snails help sand substrates? My sand gets very dirty even cleaning it once a week so if these guys help out tell me what kind are good lol.

As for fish who eat snails, my friends puffer loves them. I don't know if that's compatible though? You can always scoop them out w/ your hand and take them to your LFS they have fish that do enjoy eating them and sometimes will take them. They also give them away for free (usually) to people who have fish that do enjoy them. Hope that helps!

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
MTS burrow in the sand, stirring up any pockets of nitrogen caused by decaying matter.

I'm with you on the puffer thing, I'm considering keeping a pair of dwarfs just for snail control, i've seen them literally stalk them nonstop.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom