YAAAAAAY NEW TANK!!!!!!!!!!

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
If I haven't told you yet I asked for a 20 gal long kit for my b-day. It is next week but my parents let me open presents today since we will be on vacation. And I got it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yay!!! ;D ;D It is an oak trimmed tank, oak trimmed fluorescent hood, Marineland bio-wheel power filter, plus a heater which I am going to see if I can return since I want a different brand. I am probably going to get 4 Otos (well actually I'm moving Mist and Marble from the 10g and getting 2 more), 4 female Bettas, and 6 Cardinal Tetras. I can't wait to get my fishies!!!!!!!!! (oh, to save anyone from having to ask, yes I am cycling fishless )

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
thanx! This time I'll have tons of fun decoeating...I've already figured out what not to do by screwing up decorating my 10g... : yeah that filter is awesome... 8)

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Happy Birthday to You!
Happy Birthday to You!
Happy Birthday to Omorrokh!
Happy Birthday to You!

and Many More!!

Congratulations on the New Tank and Fish!

Rose

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Which bio-wheel do have and I bet you will love your filter. Marc hasn't had good luck with his bio-wheel but I have so hopefully you will have good luck with them. I guess it all depends since Marc has had good luck with whisper and I haven't. O well good luck though and I have found if I use Filter Fiber and take a handfulll and stuff it in the part where you put the filter cartridge and put in enough to make the wheel spin then it's a lot cheaper than buying the filter cartridges. If you have any questions feel free to ask me via PM or a post and I would gladly help.

O how could I have forgotten rose I forgot to wish him a happy birthday.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY OMORROKH

Austin

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Happy Birthday Omorrokh, and congratulations on your new tank! I am excited for you There's no better feeling than getting a brand new tank, is there!? How are you planning on decorating it? Since I love natural setups, I'd suggest some natural looking gravel, driftwood, and low-light plants (I presume you have standard lighting). But of course, it's all up to you what you'll do with the tank. Good luck!

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!! Congrats on the new tank. You must be doing a good job with the fish you hve for your parents to get you a new set-up.
Carol

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
atmmachine816 said:
O how could I have forgotten rose I forgot to wish him a happy birthday.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY OMORROKH

Austin
Thanks!...Except I'm a her ;D  Oh boy, I'm never gonna let you live this one down! ;D ;D ;D  (ok so I call a girl him or vice versa like every day... : )  Don't worry I don't care, I'm such a tomboy anyway.  

The filter is a Marineland Penguin 200 BIO-Wheel Power Filter...*whew!*  

Hmmm...something that's cheaper...might have to try that!  I got a free cartridge with the filter though so it will be several months before I need new stuff.

As for decorating, I'm going to use black gravel and low-light live plants, floating, planting, and attached.  The driftwood will be fake though, the real stuff is too expensive.  I agree that natural-looking tanks look best.
This is going to kill me...I'm leaving on the vacation tomorrow, so I can't set up the tank until next weekend!    If I die hopefully my dad can take care of the fish... : ;D

ebbandflow

Valued Member
Reaction score
Happy birthday!

One question. You can have a bunch of female betas living in the same tank? I didnt realize that. How come the males cant but the females can?

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The males are territorial, but the females can get along although groups of 3 or more are recommended to prevent one female from being bullied. It's kind of like you can't keep a stallion with another or they'll fight, but mares will get along fine.

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I guess you could, but you'd need a whole lot of hiding places and plants.  And considering Bettas are extremely picky eaters and sometimes will eat just one type of food, it would be a pain to cater to the taste of that many Bettas!
Yes, the behavior of female Bettas is fascinating. Apparently they form a pecking order and one Betta becomes the boss.

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Sorry about that, first time ever I have ever made a mistake that bad. Wow I'm stupid :-[. Ya the cartridges are really expensive, and I'v found you can't keep re-using them at least with my fish, they are BIG waste producers. Whatever waste I can get rid of comes back on the filter more than I got rid of. If they sell filter fiber by you you buy a big bag of it, take a handfull and let it soak in the back of your filter then push it all the way down and put in enough to make your wheel spin. You can rotate it every week if you want too. Good luck with your tank, and sorry for calling you a him.

ebbandflow yes you can keep a whole female tank but you have to make sure there are enough females in there and hiding places for them because they will become territorial and aggresive too and you will have ripped fins if you are not careful, basically what SHE Ommorrokh told you. (got it right)

Austin

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Females need to be in at least 3's so there can be a primary female. When there is a primary it means there is very little arguing as the others understand their place and behave accordingly, especially with peaceful fish like otos and the cardinal tetras around. They will be fine especially if she adds them all together and does not allow some of them to establish their territories before she adds the others. Good going girl!

Go for the OSBO (organization for the saving of bettas and otos)! Anybody want to join?

Rose

newbie101

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I can't afford a 5 gallon tank for a betta, so I'm going to have to get the betta a 2.5 instead of a 5, and get a snail instead of ottos
Unless anyone has a used 5 gallon...

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Was the "O" in OSBO for organization or operation? Now I don't remember...I'll have to check one of our PM's Rose... oh well it's still the same thing.
Sorry Emma, I'd love to pay for tanks so people could rescue Bettas and/or Otos except that I seem to be perpetually broke. : I'm planning to rescue 4 Otos (including the ones I already have) and 4 female Bettas for the 20 gallon I just got. And GO ROSE for all the Bettas and Otos you've rescued!!! Poor little guys, those two fish are probably the most mistreated of all fish. So let's start rescuing them and giving the Bettas a good tank and the Otos good food! (in case anyone doesn't know most Otos are caught inhumanely from the wild and then starved at the dealer or whatever and then the store, that's why so many die :'()

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Oto's aren't that mistreated, it's more that they are not treated correctly in the shipping process. Almost all fish are mistreated in petstores, one of my lfs's moved two foot big moray eels from a 15-20gallon to like a 5 gallon and they can't even turn around in it and then they have silver aros in 5 gallon tanks and tattooed parrot fish advertised as a great easter present. But good luck with your tank

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom