Xmas moss questions

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by brodylane1122, Dec 10, 2012.

1. brodylane1122

brodylane1122 Well Known Member Member

Well, I may have jumped the gun a little bit on my shrimp tank overhaul. I bought Christmas moss, knowing that is is very easy to care for and can be grown in low light to high light setups. I spread it out on the new driftwood and tied it down like crazy.

I then decided to look up xmas moss care and everything I've read has stated it does well in low light (like i had thought), but by low light everyone is saying 1.5 watts per gallon. My 20 gallon only gets around 1 watt per gallon.

Has anybody had success growing xmas moss in a low light setup like mine?

I do dose with API leaf zone once a week. And right now the moss looks about the same as when I put it in around 5 days ago.

2. J

JessiNoel21 Well Known Member Member

Christmas moss is a slow grower mine is now just coming out of the mesh I put it three weeks ago. My tank gets is high light but everything but my moss is growing like crazy.

3. Matt B

Matt B Well Known Member Member

I've had similar experience to JessiNoel, I've had it from moderate to high and it was slow in each case. When I sandwiched some between plastic canvas it took it a solid 2 weeks before it started poking though......And then my barbs ripped off the new growth. :;laughing

4. OP
    OP
    brodylane1122

So what you are saying is in my situation, I'll be waiting for a long, long, long time to see any growth??? HA! Well, I just hope it attaches to the driftwood I have it on.

5. Matt B

Like so many things in this hobby, patience, patience, patience, it truly is a virtue. I struggle with it all the time! :)

6. monkeypie102

monkeypie102 Well Known Member Member

I must have gotten lucky... I placed a small clump I got with my rainbow shrimp in a 2g with 7w per gallon of lighting it doupled in size in a week... I am hopin I will have enough for a moss wall soon for my 5g

7. Matt B

I know it does vary with lighting, growing faster in higher light than low so I would say the 7wpg was probably responsible for that. ;)

8. OP
    OP
    brodylane1122

Well 7w per gallon is a lot more than 1w per gallon...so I wouldn't say lucky. All I am hoping is that it attaches to my driftwood and lives long term, even if it takes a long time to fill out.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice