WTB: Low-medium light plants

Discussion in 'Buy, Sell, Trade, Free' started by funkman262, Apr 11, 2010.

1. funkman262

funkman262Well Known MemberMember

Aquarium Type: Freshwater Planted Tank
    Aquarium Size: 45g 36"L x 12"D x 23"H
    Livestock: 4 Platies, 2 Guppies, 1 Dalmation Molly, 1 Swordtail, 7 Harlequin Rasboras, Amazon swords, Anubias, Micro sword
    Temperature: 78
    pH: 7.0
    Lighting: 78W
    Also: Dosing with trace nutrients and CO2

I've got a 45g tank that I'm looking to add more plants into. I've already got some wide-leaf plants in there now so I'm thinking I could use something that would grow thin and tall, maybe something like hornwort (but not so messy). The current plants have been in there for a little over 3 weeks now. I've been getting new growth in the anubias and amazon swords so something similar to those requirements should work. I'm new to this whole aquascaping thing so will graciously take any recommendations as to what would look good in there. Also, if anyone has any dwarf four leaf clover (marsilea minuta or marsilea hirsuta), that would be great. Thank you.

[​IMG]

2. harpua2002

harpua2002Fishlore VIPMember

I've got a bunch of plants coming in this week. Most are low light, and I've also got rotala indica on the way. Not sure if you have enough light for that or not, since your tank is so deep! :)

3. ilikefishValued MemberMember

Gorgeous tank! How big is it? What are those two larger plants?

Hornwort and messy? IME its not a messy plant if there is no salt in the tank... just my 2 cents.

I have some parrot feathers   is a picture

Parrot feathers grow pretty fast if you dose with nutrients and CO2... otherwise their slow (but I don't think you'll have to worry about that) They look like underwater Christmas trees and if their growing quickly the newest leaves are orangy and the older leaves are green. If it gets too tall you cut it in the middle and plant the top half and both will continue to grow! Alternatively you could take the entire plant and plant it underwater sideways and then it would sprout from different points along the plant's stem. However if you let it get too tall and it reaches the surface of the water, the leaves touching the surface will die...

If you dose nutrients and CO2 you could have a jungle in no time!

Note: There are 3 variety of parrot feathers... one that grows on land one that grows emersed and one that grows submerged... mine is the submerged variety.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2010
  4. OP
    OP
    funkman262

I have no experience with it, just everything I read said it was an extremely messy plant.

5. ilikefishValued MemberMember

I see

6. ilikefishValued MemberMember

I guess thats a no for the parrot feather? /sniff /sniff lol jk

7. OP
    OP
    funkman262

Not necessarily...I'm just having trouble finding information about it.

8. ilikefishValued MemberMember

Your right... information was scarce and hard to find... I only found these 5 sites and only 2 of them have much to say... but take a look if you'd like...

No pressure lol I don't care if you'd like to buy or not lol I was just doing some thinning and don't know what to do with a few of them... their just sitting in my shrimp tank at the moment, all out of place and messing up my aqua-scape XD lol

9. OP
    OP
    funkman262

Thanks for the links ilikefish. It's a beautiful plant but I'd be worried it wouldn't get enough light in my tank. What do you think?

10. ilikefishValued MemberMember

hmm I'm not sure... I just stuck one of the extras in my low light 10g guppy tank 12 watt bulb over 10 gallons. I'll let you know... It is however very hardy... I forgot one once in a box for 2 weeks! I planted this yellowed leafless stem and it grew! lol ^^

but it grows pretty slow without CO2 or ferts... I have one in my beta tank and it grows pretty slow. But I like experiments : )

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice