WTB: Dwarf Cichlids

Discussion in 'Buy, Sell, Trade, Free' started by funkman262, Apr 13, 2010.

1. funkman262

funkman262Well Known MemberMember

I've been thinking about adding some dwarf cichlids to my 45g tank. It currently has plants and driftwood in there now and will soon be adding more plants to hopefully help break some of the line of sight throughout the tank. I'm thinking I might be able to have 1 or 2 breeding pairs of apistogrammas or kribensis in there (feel free to disagree, so long as you have reasons). Let me know if you breed these types of fish. Thanks.

2. harpua2002

harpua2002Fishlore VIPMember

This is a 3 foot tank, right? I think you posted a pic and it's the same one I used to have. Anyway, if so, I would suggest only one pair.

I know this doesn't help you now, but I have GBR fry and Apistogramma atahualpa fry growing out at the moment. My Apisto agassizi "alenquer" pair spawned recently, but ate the eggs, so hopefully they will keep trying too. In a few months I should def. be able to help you out. :)

Or, I can order some apistos from a wholesaler for the instant gratification! lol

3. OP
    OP
    funkman262

What if, instead of breading pairs, I just went with several males or several females of different species? That way they don't pair up and get aggressive when breeding. How many types would you suggest that I could put in this tank? Thanks.

4. harpua2002

Now that's a good question. My only experience is with pairs so I think someone else would be of more help. btate and Nutter immediately come to mind.... I know btate has a TON of experience with cichlids.

5. OP
    OP
    funkman262

Cool. I'll just wait and see what other responses I get (or maybe I should post another thread asking that question). I'm not really in any rush. I'd definately rather order fish from a FL member than some petstore online so I could wait until whenever they become available. It'll give my tank more time to get established and me more time to gain experience. I tried a GBR before and he got beat to death by my molly :(. I nearly flushed her down the toilet I was so upset but that wouldn't have fixed anything.

6. harpua2002

I think you should post a thread man, or maybe just shoot a PM to those two. If you don't PM I think they are more likely to see your question in another forum.

7. btate617

btate617Well Known MemberMember

You could do only males or females if you wanted to try that.

Problem with only males is just like us males they are always pushing out their chest to show who is the tough guy, so there will be aggression similiar to that of a breeding pair.

Problem with females is even a female alone will still produce eggs, although not fertile of course, but she will defend them none the less. Some females will also "pair" up and defend an area.

45 gallons is not a whole lot of room to try mutiple pairs. If you are new to cichlids I would suggest one pair and maybe some dither fish and go on from there. More than one pair can be done, but like I said if you are just trying cichlids for the first time I would start with one pair.

What cichlids interest you? If you would like some examples of either Central American or South American cichlids that will work out and spawn in a 45gal I could give you some examples for you to check out.

Brian

8. harpua2002

Oooh, I forgot about keyholes! They don't look like much when they are young, but they mature into real beauties. They don't technically meet the definition of dwarf cichlids, but they stay small enough for a 45 easily and are as peaceful as SA dwarfs.

9. OP
    OP
    funkman262

I may possibly be changing apartments in August when my lease is up so I'd probably be looking to purchase a pair of apistogrammas (or similar species) in September. For you apisto breeders, try to keep me updated on what you have to offer over the next few months. I'd rather purchase fish from members here so I know they're healthy and well loved ;D. Thank you all.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice