Wrought Iron Stand Convert?

Tigg
Hey guys,

I'm stuck as to what to use to create this stand for a(nother) cube tank.

Have a side table w/heavy duty wrought iron frame & round glass top. It occurred to me the length & width suuuuuuure looked like they'd be big enough to work as a stand for this tank, in my dining room.

Lo & behold they are, IF I can come up w/a tabletop that'd be sturdy & solid to put the tank on. Here's what I'm talkin' about:

IMG_0848.JPG
IMG_0849.JPG
IMG_0850.JPG

The stand for the table's heavy wrought iron & solidly built. It's definitely able to hold the 250+ pounds of this tank filled, scaled & stocked. Question is, what do I put between stand & tank as a top?

I know birch plywood's probably the most solid if I wanted to go that direction. That white shelving stuff, cut to size, was also thought.

The footprint's 20 x 18, so figured I'd go 21 x 19; glue or bracket top to legs.

I could use some wisdom and/or expertise from anyone who has an idea on the best way to bring this to fruition.

(Side note: Thinking of doing a variety of nano fish groups w/some cool planting - danios, harlequins, maybe a school of tetras or such. It's got potential.)

Thanks for any input!

Tigg

Advertisement
California L33
I don't think you'd want to mount the tank pictured as pictured. A tank with a rI'm should be supported by the rim, preferably all the way around. A nice thick piece of plywood at least as wide as the tank's footprint, treated to be waterproof and painted to match, between the stand and tank might work. Fill it like it is and I have a feeling one morning you'll wake up to a shattered bottom and the four walls of the tank sitting on the floor.

Tigg
Right, exactly California. I need something as a (table) top for the stand, which I'd place the tank upon. Was lookin' for input on what the best / a solid option might be.

I posted the pics just to show what I'm working with. If I set it up as in the pics, you guys'd be reading about it in the 'biggest mistakes I ever made' thread pretty soon.

So you think plywood would be a solid option, then? That was my thought as well, just wasn't positive.

ounderfla69
Since plywood is around 3/4 inch thick amd the tank looks bigger I would use 2 to 3 layers screwed or glued together.

California L33
Since plywood is around 3/4 inch thick amd the tank looks bigger I would use 2 to 3 layers screwed or glued together.

I supported a 15 gallon in a similar situation on one piece of 3/4", so I'd guess, knocking on wood here, that two pieces would be enough for a 29. A little glue between them might be fine just to keep them aligned, but screws might be overkill. Gravity will keep them from sliding with 250 pounds of water on top, so just the tack from the glue would be all that I'd use to keep them in place while I was trying to center everything before filling.

TwoHedWlf
There's no cross bracing. Looks like when it's full if anyone bumps into it, which will happen where you've got it there because of people walking around the tank, it will just slip sideways and pancake.

California L33
There's no cross bracing. Looks like when it's full if anyone bumps into it, which will happen where you've got it there because of people walking around the tank, it will just slip sideways and pancake.

That's definitely a consideration, not just whether it can support the weight, but any torque a bump might apply to it. I suppose a local welder could put a horizontal 'X' in there about half way up, which should prevent the 'collapsing square' failure mode. Then, of course, it would have to repainted.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Rivieraneo
Replies
Views
ProudPapa
Replies
Views
ChrissFishes01
Replies
Views