Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

Wrong Substrate, High Ph, Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by MarkSeders, Apr 22, 2019.

1. MarkSedersNew MemberMember

Hi all
    I'm still in the cycling phase if this all but I had a question. I originally was going to do a bunch of cichlid, so I set up my tank with cichlid substrate. Since it is made of crushed coral, I currently have a stable pH of 8.2. my kh is 1 dkh and gh is 10 dgh.
    Now my question is, with all of that cichlid substrate in the bottom, is it possible to drop and maintain a lower pH to accommodate for fish that require around 7.5? If so, will I need to constantly work on maintaining the lower pH or will it stay after I drop it?
    Thanks a bunch!

2. AngryRainbowValued MemberMember

I'd imaging any changes you make to fight the ph of your substrate would be temporary. Any water change etc will need to be adjusted. Why not switch the substrate since there are no fish in the tank currently?

3. Sarcasm IncludedWell Known MemberMember

What fish are you getting that "requires" 7.5, I doubt that it will have problems at 8.2? Most fish are extremely tolerant of ph levels as long as it doesn't fluctuate, especially if you are in the higher ranges. Fish that need hard water tend to not do well in soft and low ph water, but the other way around is usually not a problem if you don't intend to breed.

4. GalathielWell Known MemberMember

What is your tap ph? I wonder if it's very stable with your having such a low kh anyway. You might want something to help keep it more stable (like the crushed coral).