Wrong Fish? What Is This?

Discussion in 'Fish, Snail, Worm And Pest ID Help' started by BewareThePleco, Apr 16, 2018.

1. BewareThePleco

BewareThePleco New Member Member

I'm new when it comes to having a fish tank, and while looking around to see what would fit my 20 gallon I came across what I was told was a Zebra Danio. But after receiving this fish and looking up as many pictures as possible I can't figure out what this little guy is, he has two whiskers hanging down above his mouth, and his fins are under his body. I have gone to our near by pet store and showed them a picture of him and they said that he was a baby Zebra Danio but to me he just doesn't look anything like the pictures that I have looked up. In the photo he does have ich, and I believe his back fin has been torn, so yeah the poor guy is in rough shape but I am taking the steps on trying to get him in better shape. If more pictures are needed to figure out what he is I'll try and get some better ones, he likes to dart around a lot. And if I am wrong and he is a Zebra Danio then I apologize for my ignorance but I just want to make sure because I want to be able to make sure that they are raised properly.
    30728458_10214904251097792_6872468876471304192_n.jpg

2. WanhiBetta

WanhiBetta Valued Member Member

3. appcontrol

appcontrol Well Known Member Member

Probably zebra danio but gold color variation. So gold zebra danio or Gold Longfin Danio (Danio rerio). Just google them and see dose that fits.
    Good luck

4. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to Fishlore!

He looks like a zebra danio to me :)

There are ways to treat ich without using meds (which can be rough on some fish; we often recommend the heat method). We can help you with this method if you're interested!

5. mattgirl

mattgirl Fishlore VIP Member

I would say very skinny long finned zebra danio. Both zebra and pearl danios do have almost invisible whiskers. Maybe all danios have the whiskers but I've only had pearl and zebra.

Hopefully you will be able to get that ich off him quickly. Once that is done he will be a beautiful little guy.

6. Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_b Fishlore VIP Member

7. OP
    OP
    BewareThePleco

Thank you everyone! I'm relieved to finally KNOW what he is. I will definitely look more into the links about how to get rid of the ich, I started using meds at the moment, along with 25% water changes every day. Am I doing this right so far or should stop using meds and do it in a more natural way?

8. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Your choice! Sometimes heat can be less stressful on fish than meds. What meds are you using?

9. OP
    OP
    BewareThePleco

It's called Rid ich plus, disease treatment by kordon

10. CanadianJoeh

CanadianJoeh Well Known Member Member

Zebra danio.

Rid-ich is good. So is Ich-attack.

Good luck!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice