wpg how much is too much?

frogster221
is 30 watts per gallon too much and if it is what will it do to plants and algae

mlinden84
How do you have 30 watts per gallon?

frogster221
I have a 2 gallon planted tank with a normal 60 watt light bulb in it

MrWaxhead
A normal 60 watt incandescent bulb is really only about 13 watts of compact fluorescent bulb rating. And a compact fluorescent bulb is about .86 rated per watt of t12 lighting in which watts per gallon is based on.

So you really have about 11.18 watts of light over a 2 gallon for about 5.59 watts per gallon, which is still on the very high end of things, but incandescent light really isn't the best method of light over a tank, as they don't really give off great light spectrum for use in plants. You would be better off with a 13w or even lower compact fluoresant bulb, the little spiral guys in a good cool light setting like 6500k. And personally I would go lower then 13w as 5.5wpg is asking for algae in a big way. Unless you can feed your plants stable c02 and ferts and keep chopping of the growth very fast so the plants stay on top of the nutrient load in the tank.

frogster221
I can't do co2 and I would prefer not using ferts if I can help it since u know the wpg really well how many watts per gallon are in my 20 gallon I have a 15 fluoresant bulb in it and the tank is tall someone told me that it was about 1 wpg is that right thanks for the help

MrWaxhead
A 15 watt bulb on a 20 gallon tank, is 0.75 wpg. Or on the very low side, so there would be reason for c02 or ferts on a tank like that. Which is a good thing as you can't run them as previously mentioned.

But with that low of lighting your pretty much stuck to growing things like java moss and fern and anubis and plants like those. Granted they grow very very slow and will be algae prone in conditions like that (anubis is really prone you will get algae spotting on the leaves), as they are going to leave plenty of nutrients in the water as they have no need for them to complete there slow rate of photosynthisis. So you are going to have to make sure you have water movement and keep on top of your water changes and the nutrients will build up and feed what can use them, algae.

frogster221
ok thanks for all the help but do u know bout the other two plants

MrWaxhead
what two plants?

frogster221
the other 2 plants that I had pictures of but didnt know what they were top left and bottom left

frogster221
o woops I wrote that in the wrong thread sorry

frogster221
mrwaxhead awesome tank ihope mine turns out as good as your did

Gamer
Yes MrWaxHead does have an awesome tank there doesn't he?!

This may not be the answer you're looking for but hopefully it helps you out some. I am not certain if this WPG rule of thumb is a must for smaller aqauriums such as 2 gallons but for larger tanks, it definitely is.

0-1.5wpg: Extremely low, not very many plants will grow under that level of light.
1.5-2wpg: Low light and hardy plants will grow but slow.
2-3wpg: Medium light and a lot of plants will grow just fine under this level.
3-4wpg: High light and any plants can be grown.

Like I said, I am not certain on the smaller planted aqauriums like nanos (???) or whatever but for bigger tanks and I would think for your 20 gallon set-up, you'll need at least 2-3 watts per gallon.

Anything higher than 3-4 watts could lead to disaster especially if you're newer to the hobby like I am like you could get a major algae boom that would be tough to recover from. I would probably go around 40watts for your 20 gallon that way you can have more options when it comes to choosing plants and with the right ferts, proper CO2 and algae control it could be a beautiful tank.

frogster221
I'm going to get a 55 gallon so I can have more fish and plants but the lights that the 55 gallon come with are only rated up to 17 watts do I need to get better lights or will I need to get better lights to get up to 2-3 wpg or what could I do

Gamer
For my 55gallon. I am putting together a DIY 4x55watt bright kit from AHSupply.com. Check it out:

You could also get a fixture already constructed such as the Coralife 4x65watt Aqualight Dual Strip (you'll need the 48" freshwater one).

Both of those would give you all the wattage you need to grow whatever plants you'd like.

With both of them you'll need two 24" glass canopies (if your 55 has that center brace) or one 48" glass canopy.

With the bright kit you'll have to purchase the bulbs extra and one of their enclosures (unless you build your own enclosure or attach the bright kit to a standard one). With the Coralife, that comes with everything you need except for the glass canopy/ies.

frogster221
I'm only 15 so can't build it (parents don't trust me enough to do it right) and don't have much money to buy something and the tank comes with the hood and light plastic kit thingy so it would be good if I could get a light that would fit it. do the makers of those typ[esw of hoods make lights with a higher wattage?

Gamer
I see. So basically your best bet is to upgrade the current lights you have as opposed to buying a whole new lighting system. Hmmm. Hopefully someone who knows more than I do about this can weigh in on this thread. I am sure the makers of the lights on my 55 gallon don't make brighter bulbs therefore I unfortunately have to go out of my way to buy a whole new fixture. But hey, if your parents ever decide to buy you one, then direct them to AHSupply.com. Or if you come into the right amount of money yourself then remember that website because that's about the cheapest you'll get high quality fixtures. These fixtures are DIY but very easy. I myself have not done many electrical projects in my life and I found it to be very self-explanatory and simple to construct. Best of luck to you.

frogster221
thank you ill remember the website but ill probably just do low light plants till I can get better bulbs or a better light

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Frank the Fish guy
Replies
Views
GlennO
Replies
Views
SegiDream
Top Bottom