Wpg for 10 gallon tank?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Genavelle, Aug 6, 2015.

1. GenavelleValued MemberMember

Hello!

So I'm looking to start up a 10 gallon tank later this month, with a betta, some shrimp, and a snail (if all goes well). I also want some live plants in there- easy plants that can put up with me. To save money, I'm using a clamp light I already have but am trying to figure out what bulb to get for it. I've been looking at CFL bulbs, but I'm not really sure what wattage I should be getting.

I'm thinking about maybe water wisteria, anubias or java fern, and a couple of moss balls. So about how much watts for a CFL (with 6500k lighting) should I be looking for? Also, my lamp has a max of 60 watts (for incandescent bulbs).

2. AquaticBrandonWell Known MemberMember

WPG doesn't really work anymore. I believe the 6500k bulbs are 13-15 watts. Those 6500k cfl bulbs should grow low light plants and a few medium light plants.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. GenavelleValued MemberMember

yeah most of what I'm finding seems to be like 13w. I did see a few at Lowes website that were higher, even like a 42w one I think. But I don't really want to go too high if I don't need to since I'm probably going to get low-light plants.

Is a 13 or 14 watt CFL bulb good for a planted 10 gallon? And do lumens matter? I found a 14 watt one at home depot but it has lower lumens than the 13 watt, and I think they're both 6500k.

4. AquaticBrandonWell Known MemberMember

The lumens I believe is how bright the bulb is. I'm running those Sylvania brand 6500k's on my 60 gallon. They are very good

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

5. LiterallyHydroWell Known MemberMember

The big factor in lighting is the PAR output. I'm not the one who can provide tons of information on it, but PAR is very important in good lighting for a planted tank. Maybe someone who has more knowledge on the matter can help with that though.

6. alinkWell Known MemberMember

Beyond the bulb, the reflectors in the fixture are important as well.

Reflectors on a light fixture designed to grow plants will increase the light produced by up to 300% where as a normal lamp that has no reflectors, will actually reduce the light getting in the tank because you are only getting light from the part of the bulb that faces the tank.

If you don't have a decent light fixture, you could have the best bulb and it probably wont work too well.

7. Bob EllisValued MemberMember

When comparing output of different types of lighting, eg incandescent and CFL, you want to look at lumens and not watts.