WOW these new Flourescent bulbs are too BRIGHT

1. Pike35 Initiate Member

I'm not quite sure I like how these new lights look, I originally had 2 incadescent lights in my hood, purchased 2 10watt flourescent bulbs and the tank is too bright for me, I may have to get some darker rock for the bottom, I don't know. Is there smaller wattage bulbs?? or if I'm planning on putting in some easy plants like java fern, etc will I need it this dang bright?

Thanks

2. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

How big is your tank? That's only 20 watts.

3. vin Well Known Member Member

20 watts isn't very bright....Where did you get the lamps from and what color/temperature are they? Are they a full spectrum lamp?

4. Pike35 Initiate Member

Its a 10 gallon tank, and they are full spectrum 6500

5. vin Well Known Member Member

Too much wattage for a 10 gallon. You should only be using a single tube full spectrum, 10-15 watts max.

6. Pike35 Initiate Member

I thought the rule for growing plants was 2watts per gallon, is that wrong? And If I keep only one in the tank is only half lit, should i get a different kind of flourescent for the other side? Even putting one incandescent in with the flourescent bulb makes the tank look 1/2 lit.

7. Jason Well Known Member Member

it'd be ok if your having fish like livebearers in it which like the tropical sun but catfish wont like it. Dont think cories will mind too much though ans the extra light will benefit plants that need bright lighting. You could have a plant growth in one and a normal in the other ;)

8. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Thats not really too much light for a ten gallon. Yes the java fern etc will grow in it. floating plants will also shade the tank some and love the light. Your fish will like the floating plants.
    If your decor is white or very light colored it will make it seem very bright. In the end if it doesn't look like you want it to, change the bulbs for a lower wattage bulb. (It will limit plant selections in the future)It is your tank and should be pleasing to you ;D
    Carol

9. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

I switched my bulbs out for flourescent bulbs and now have 30 watts over my 10 gallon tank. Yeah, it's bright, but my plants love it, and my fish don't seem to mind. ;D

10. vin Well Known Member Member

Are the lamps screw in or plug in tubes? I've got a 20w single tube fluor. over my 15 gallon and it's plenty bright enough.

11. Isabella Fishlore VIP Member

Vin, actually the smaller the tank the more WPGs of light you need if you want to grow plants successfully. For a 10 gallon tank, 20 watts are just fine, and Pike shouldn't be getting less than that. That is if he wants plants.

Pike, the rule is not "2 wpg" for "all" planted tanks. It depends on the type of plants you will have, the size of your tank, and whether you'll be adding any fertilizers and CO2 injections to your tank. All of these influence the wattage you need over your planted tank. For low-light tanks approximately 30-90 gallons or so in size, you should have anywhere between 1.5-2.0/2.5 wpgs. For high-tech/high-light tanks with ferts and CO2 injections, the size of 30-90 gallons, you should have a minimum of 2.5 and usually above 3.0 wpgs. For tanks smaller than 30 gallons and larger than 90 gallons the wpgs are calculated differently - for such tanks you need far more lighting relative to the tank's size than you'd need for tanks between 30 and 90 gallons in size. That's what I've been told on Plant Geek.

12. Boxermom Member Member

I have 40w CFs in my 10 gallon tank and its still pretty much low-to-medium lighting.