Wow. No arowana keepers active?

Discussion in 'Arowana' started by leeishom, Mar 30, 2010.

1. l

leeishom Valued Member Member

:;fru

2. A

AlexW New Member Member

Not many have a tank large enough to dedicate to a fish that will get anywhere from 2-5 feet long...

I watch and take care of a 3.5 foot silver at my LFS, but have no room for a 300+ gallon aquarium at my house.

3. OP
    OP
    l

3.5 wow, that is big.

4. Shawnie

Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

agreed....those are the type of fish that IMO dont belong on home aquariums unless you can have HUGE tanks....even juvies need the space to grow properly..but im envious of those that do!

5. cm11599ps

cm11599ps Well Known Member Member

Check out monster fish keepers for people with larger tanks.

6. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

They are beautiful fish but they do need tanks bigger than most aquarist have room for in their homes.
    carol

7. Alcmiller

Alcmiller Valued Member Member

Hey, I'll be gettin' one in the future though! probably my goal fish to keep..

8. OP
    OP
    l

its a real good fish to have, if it feels attachment towards the keeper.
    my aro. always follows me around the living room, and when im about to leave, she is looking straight at me.
    just last night, she did a small jump across the front of the tank, not sure why.

9. Furallicah

Furallicah Well Known Member Member

My friend wants one of them after seeing one eat a mouse on youtube....lol I would love one but my poor room is already cramped with tanks XD And I think I can only squeeze in a 125 gal tank to complete my collection of tanks for now. However were moving soon so it'd be best to wait on that one lol.

10. OP
    OP
    l

also waiting to move first before i invest into a 300 gallon.

11. yallyall1

yallyall1 Well Known Member Member

I went to a fish shop yesterday with my mum(2nd time only!), to a place I haven't been to before. To my surprise, they had two there (first time seen here in Adelaide!),one in a 3ft tank:mad: and one in a "community tank" made up of a BN, several mildly aggressive cichlids and an arowana!:'(

Anyways, my mum (I hadn't noticed it as I was checking out some nice convicts dream fish:;a) said "those fish are ugly, and they look sad all the time. I wouldn't get one of those" pointing at the Arowana as if it were alien. :eek: Instinctively, I told her they were massive fish and can reach around 3ft, minimum 200 Gallons etc. (couldn't stop rambling!) after that I realised that it would probably be stunted in there and not very happy.:(

After we were finished with that room, we moved on to the "display room". I was dumbfounded.:eek: There in front of me was this 4ft tank with an arowana,a BN and tons of cichlids. Immediately, I thought "somethings is going to get killed!" followed by "OMG another arowana:'("

I walked out, with a small lamp for my betta tank, shocked. I kept saying to my mum, "I Can't believe they have them in those tanks".

Personally, I love them. However, its cruel to keep them in relatively small tanks. If I had a 300 Gallon tank, I wouldn't get one, as there are so many great possibilities with that size tank.

Sorry for the ramble!;D

12. Gouramiguy17

Gouramiguy17 Well Known Member Member

I love the jardini arowana and the red chili arowana, they are such beautiful fish but there's no way I can get a tank that big, maybe I could steal kens...
    I've also read jardinis is a smaller species of arowana and only get 1 1/2 feet long

13. OP
    OP
    l

I think, having a large tank and a QT tank is better than a few or several small tanks.
    Multiple chambered tanks, for housing multiple betta's do not count because we all know betta's can get quite violent toward others.

14. g

gunner13 Well Known Member Member

My wife brought me a 7" silver arowana for valentines day. Great colours,irrediscent pink on it's silver scales. Unfortunatly she picked it up from our LFS the same day it was shipped so it got really stressed out and would not eat. That was on the friday, by sunday it was dead. Waste of £50. Moral of the story, always leave an exspensive fish at the shop for about a week before taking it home so you know it is eating and settled before the dreaded bag move. Man was i gutted.

15. OP
    OP
    l

Oh man, a unfortunate loss.
    But the LFS shouldve advised againeat taking her home on that same day, no need to blame your self.

16. g

gunner13 Well Known Member Member

I would of usualy waited but excitement got the better of me. I will get another when i move soon and get a bigger tank which will be arros, rays and procholodus.

17. OP
    OP
    l

I'm a one of each species myself, but you will find out that aro's are one of the finest fish to have, in terms of long term fish keeping.
    I'm not familiar with som of the other fishes you listed, but having a smaller fish to feed off small pieces of leftover food would indeed help control food wasting away.

18. Elodea

Elodea Well Known Member Member

I love arowanas (especially silvers and blacks) but also think that they need huge tanks. In my opinion, you should push it a bit more to maybe 620 gallons (7'x5'x3', LxWxH) for the arowana to have room to swim. Then, maybe add some tankmates like stingrays or such (they're illegal here in CA).

19. OP
    OP
    l

Motoro rays are a plenty here in Seattle.

20. swervo513

swervo513 Valued Member Member

Sadly most arowanas will never get the chance to have a home of 180 gallons or better. The people at monsterfishkeepers.com say that if you can afford a 6'x2' tank you would have an arowana that is happier than 85% of the home kept arowana out there. So, since many on this site recommend 250 gallons + you can keep an arowana in a 180 for quite a while before it outgrows the tank. General rule is tank width should be longer than the fish.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice