Wow How fast does everything convert once your tank is cycled?

RyanReef

Just wondering.... After your tank has cycled, how long does the nitrogen cycle take to process from ammonia <nitrites <nitrates ? I've been using household ammonia to cycle my aquarium. It's Goldex Brand which I believe is only 5% My tank holds 46 gal. Not sure how much water it actually holds now that 50lbs of rock and 50lbs of sand are in it but I've got it figured out that 12ml of the ammonia raises the water to 4ppm Ammonia. Today when I ran tests (24 hrs after dosing with ammonia) it appears cycled. 0 ppm ammo 0 ppm trites through the rough trates. Anyhow, after I tested I added my 12ml ammo to bring it back up to 4ppm ammo again to see if it was actually cycled. 3 and a half hours later just outta curiosity I tested again and it's already down to 1 ppm ammo and still 0 nitrites. Really it's that fast? After all this time once it's cycled it just gobbles everything up almost instantaneously?

djr1

Basically yes.

hampalong

Yes, and fish will only produce a fraction of that. Most of the bacteria will die off again, leaving just enough to cope with the fish, but they'll get rid of it as soon as it appears, so as long as your filter stays healthy you should never see ammonia or nitrite again.

CindiL

Sounds like you are good to go and the nice thing about a fishless cycle like that is you should be able to add all your stock at once

RyanReef

I only have One clown atm and he's a juvenile. I plan on getting another Clown in a week or so and maybe something else. Until then I'm gonna keep feeding the tank the 4ppm. I only have LR for a filter right now aswell. I'm aware that I could potentially go out and buy my full stock right away but plan to still introduce fish over a period of time so they can establish territories

James Cochran

You have a fish, you're putting in ammonia and have through the roof nitrate now? Tell me you did a water change... Stop putting in ammonia now..

Also why did you dose to 4ppm cycle if you didn't plan to stock heavier? You're only going to have bacteria die off which will lead to phosphates and other waste. Do you like algae.. I suggest you start googling some of the stuff I'm telling you. I've had a few tanks and specific aquarium chemistry is why I have a job in the industry...

hampalong

He's absolutely right. You can't dose ammonia with fish. The fish produces the ammonia in a fish-in cycle. It's a tiny amount, but it's all the fish can safely handle.

RyanReef

Ugh. Unless you are going to follow and read every thread or post I make you are going to get very confused. I have 2 tanks. A 14 gallon biocube. I bought it used. It had been cycled for 6 months previously when I got it but was extremely filthy with algae. It was so bad you couldn't see through the glass at all. I got the glass cleaned up, did a some water changes etc and have had it for a few months now. It is cycled and doing pretty well. In it is LR, 2 peppermint shrimp, a nasserith snail, I think a margarita snail, some mushrooms, a toadstool mushroom and an Ocellaris clown. There were 2 clowns. They were a mated pair but one committed suicide a couple days ago by jumping into the back of the tank so now there's just 1 clown. This tank is completely cycled.

My second tank is a 46gal bowfront. It has 50lbs of dry rock, 50lbs of "live" sand. This is the tank I've been adding the ammonia to to help cycle it. It is cycled now but I'm still adding ammonia to the tank every 24hrs to keep the bb alive. WHEN I decide to add my fish to this tank (I plan on getting more first probably half my stocking list). I will do a massive water change and check my parameters before adding them. After they've been added to the new fresh tank, I won't be adding ammonia anymore as I will have them in there plus uneaten food etc to feed my bacteria. I'm new to the hobby and have plenty to learn still and tons of questions but please stop commenting on all my threads and treating me like I'm going into this blindly and haven't done any research. Everyone does things differently. You may have more experience and have your own opinions or ways you do things but tons of people have started their aquariums in the exact same fashion I have with great success. If and when a problem arises I will take care of it and learn from the experience.

CindiL

He's absolutely right. You can't dose ammonia with fish. The fish produces the ammonia in a fish-in cycle. It's a tiny amount, but it's all the fish can safely handle.

He is adding ammonia to an empty tank guys, think you got it wrong here.

BDpups

He is adding ammonia to an empty tank guys, think you got it wrong here.
That's an understatement. Wow.

hampalong

Ugh. Unless you are going to follow and read every thread or post I make you are going to get very confused.

We did but it was a confusing post. It reads like you have the Clown in the same tank you're adding ammonia to.

RyanReef

I noticed that a few minutes ago that it may have sounded like that but it just seems like someone..... not naming names lol comments on every post of mine and is always telling me what to do. Not suggesting g or offering advice but telling me what to do. Has even went as far as saying "I thought I told you to stop adding ammonia" just always seems they're there to tell me what to do rather than guide or offer suggestions. I figure by now it's happened so much they should know that I have 2 tanks going and what is in what tank.

RyanReef

James Cochran 4ppm I do agree is probably way too much. There are so many different guides online and that's the one I started with that was working and I was seeing res from while trying to be patient. I didnt want to start something and not follow through and keep trying different things. By dosing myself, I knew what was going in and that after it was added there would be no ammonia spike etc. I'm going to do a pwc today sometime and ween out adding so much. It was easier for me to read the test kits dosing it that high. Once I do my pwc I'm going to start dosing half as much. I'll lose some of my bb but I know that's way more than I'll need. I know you're trying to be helpful. Just the way you go about it sometimes is very pushy lol. Anyhow, right now I'm adding 12ml ammonia to get to 4ppm. My nitrates are extremely high. My test goes to 160 ppm so it's either that or higher. I'm gonna do prob a 10 gal water change at some point today but then will start dosing half the amount. I can't just stop completely or all my bb will die and I wanna soon start stocking. What do you think?

James Cochran

My apologize I didn't realize you had two systems going. Life starts to grow out of no where in the rocks that's why I am so so pushy against ammonia. Do you have a means of setting up a refugium in your sump? Slowly lower your doing from 12mL by 1mL daily until you're at the level of ammonia in relation to fish poo you plan to stock right away. Obviously an eel will poo more than a chromic. You have a good grasp on the marine setup. You may find there's added benefits to adding ammonia only at beginning of a fishless cycle for your next aquarium

RyanReef

. I typed out a huge response then my phone rebooted. Anyhow I actually last night dosed 1 ml less and planned on slowly dropping it before I decided to just cut it in half but I'll try dropping it 1 ml a day. I'm gonna do a 10 gal water change in a few mins tho in hopes to lower nitrates. I don't have a sump nor do I have room for one hence why I want the hob filter for purigen etc. I have no clue what my initial stocking list will be so I'm not sure how big of a biological filter to aI'm for. Right now I only have a juvenile clown. Had 2. 1 died. Now I can get the b/w Ocellaris that I originally wanted. The one I have now is an Ocellaris but he's definitely not orange. All their orange ones are really orange. My lfs never has the same stock. I have an extra 5 gal empty cannister type thing I'm making for added flow. I already typed all about it before my phone crashed. It'll be explained later in my build anyhow when it's done. I'm hoping when I do go back they have BanggaI Cardinalfish again. I want a 6 lined wrasse but heard they should be added last. An orange spotted goby but not sure if my sand is established enough for him to sift through. I'm also not sure if the grains are fine enough for him. Was also looking at orchid dotty backs. I only ever saw 1 there before tho. I love the color.
Anyway this is my stocking list...

2 Ocellaris Clowns
1 or 2 BanggaI Cardinalfish
Orange spotted Goby (dunno about him and the firefish)
Firefish (maybe purple)
Maybe orchid dotty back or royal gamma
6 lined wrasse (last)

Really want a blood or aka fire shrimp for sure but may wait till the tank is more stable.

Thinking or adding the clowns and cardinals to start if permitted or possible the goby and clowns.

RyanReef

When I did my water change last night I filled the tank completely to where I'll have it when in use. I did the water change mostly to try and reduce nitrates and restore some trace elements but my nitrates didn't really go down. I accidentally added 12ml again but this time my ammo was at zero before adding. I waited about an hour before testing and my ammo was only about 2 ppm. I think before adding fish I'm going to have to do as close to a 100% water change as I can get.

RyanReef

Not sure if I sacked up all my bb or what it's gotta be closed to 12 hours now since I did my water change and re dosed the tank. I just checked for ammo and nitrites and I still have 1 ppm ammo and probably 1 ppm nitrites. Could be .5 trites. The only time I can actually tell with nitrites is when it's zero but going back to the original post even after dosing the same amount of ammonia and testing 3 hours later I had zero nitrites. No clue what may have happened. Looks like I'm going to be setting an alarm to get up and test things again at like 4 am. I'll also test again later but I definitely think I messed something up

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
RyanReef
Replies
Views
McRib
Replies
Views
RayClem
Replies
Views