Wow, Finally Got My Nitrates To 20

Discussion in 'Aquarium Water' started by cm11599ps, Apr 20, 2010.

1. cm11599psWell Known MemberMember

My current group of fish will soon lead to an overstocked tank. With their current sizes, AqAdvisor says I'm right at about 100% stocking level.

I will be rehoming the Green Terror this week.

My nitrate readings have been high since I began regular testings a few months ago. They never got below 40 and were often close to 80. I was also doing about 50% WC weekly.

In an effort to help bring the nitrates down I did at least 4 water changes in the past 2 weeks. 2 of those changes were cleanings of the substrate. I finally got a reading of about 20 today after a WC. I may do another change on Friday and again on Sunday which is my regular WC day.

I have tested my tap water and it reads at least a 5 on nitrates, so even though I"m taking out tank water with a 40+ nitrate reading, I'm still adding fresh water with a 5 reading.

I do underfeed my fish too. I wouldn't want to imagine what my readings would be if I followed the "feed what they will eat in 2-3 minutes" timeline.

2. funkman262Well Known MemberMember

Are you planning on keeping the tiger oscar in there?

3. cm11599psWell Known MemberMember

I haven't decided what I'm going to do exactly as far as everyone else. I'll probably give the lone silver dollar to my niece along with some other silver dollars. I'm giving her a tank for her birthday in a few weeks. The Jack & Parrot may go into different tanks as well.

Still undecided about everything.

4. CandymancanValued MemberMember

Eh my tank is at like 120% my 27g hex with 22 fish... My nitrates are always around 5-10 or so and i dont even change the water but maybe once every 2 weeks.

My moms tank had high nitrates and her tank was bigger and had less fish all bout the same size as mine too.. Her problem was overfeeding.. That might be your problem too

5. ShawnieFishlore LegendMember

I had to do every other day water changes with my big fish ....then when I started running carbon, I got to get away with every 3 days :)
    the bioload of your fish compared to cm's fish, has a HUGE difference ;) so not surprised about nitrates there....swimspace in your tank would be a concern though....not much room for 22 fish in a 27hex to get around :(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice