wow did i mess up

Discussion in 'Cleaning and Maintenance' started by brokenwing, Apr 5, 2010.

1. b

brokenwing Well Known Member Member

As many of you know im dissabled, so due to being in alot of pain i did not do a water change or gravel vaccum for two weeks. NEVER will i do that again. After doing a 30 percent water change, and a good vacum my tank was so stirred up I could not see anything in the tank. I had a spare filter so I hooked that up, and the tank is starting to clear up. Only 5 barbs, and 2 tetras, so i must be feeding to much, that is the only thing i can think of. my water parameters are great.

2. Meenu

Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

Good thing you caught it. Two weeks isn't bad - at least you aren't one of the people who get on here saying they maintain the tank every 3 or 4 months.

I hope your parameters stay in check. Sounds like the extra filtration will be good. And I totally understand disability taking away your ability to maintain your tank properly - I've been going through it for a few months now, and unfortunately had a few losses in the process. My disability is temporary (had surgery, should be better with some physical therapy) - my heart goes out to you.

3. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

My tanks get that way too if I wait a couple of weeks.
    I'm guilty of over feeding.

4. OP
    OP
    b

thanks for the responses. this is not normal for me, im always on top of maintenance. Time to order some new carbon for the aqua clear off to dfs lol. Meenu I hope you are feeling better, and good luck with your physical therapy. Lucy those fish just look at you saying feed me, and I guess sometimes they get to much lol.

5. Furallicah

Furallicah Well Known Member Member

I know how you feel with overfeeding...XD I just clean out the whole tank and rinse off the filter in used water. Tank perameters stay fine and the fish dont seem to mind. Glad to know you got to things on time. Take Care. And Best of Luck to you.

6. Shawnie

Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

I think allot of us are guilty at the overfeeding....you just cant help it!!! I hope things get easier!! if you were near , id help!!! as im sure many members would :) thank goodness all the readings were on target though :)

7. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

OH SHAWNIE I love the Butterflies!

As was said earlier I too think we are all guilty of over feeding. When our babies start begging or searching for food it's hard not to feed them. Glad everything turned out alright.
    Carol

8. bolivianbaby

bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Don't be hard on yourself. Sometimes life gets in the way of water changes and let's face it: Fish are better beggars than dogs when it comes to making us overfeed them. :;group

Most members have been guilty of overfeeding at some point and time. I'm SO glad your parameters stayed on target. My warnings of overfeeding usually involve a small ammonia reading, so you did good:;hf

9. redlessi

redlessi Well Known Member Member

Glad you caught it in time...............Hope you feel better.

10. Omgami

Omgami Valued Member Member

When those betta boys of mine beg for food, 3-4 pellets just doesn't seem like enough. I'm guilty of over feeding as well. Glad you caught it and glad your fish are ok. I stirred up one of my tanks today and ended up doing a water change too.

11. Jrobber

Jrobber Well Known Member Member

I over fed my fish right as I began having fish and I just couldn't figure out way my fish weren't living very long. During my first water change, I finally realized what was wrong. My water was so dirty the background couldn't even be seen. Good luck with everything and I hope you feel better soon.

12. OP
    OP
    b

Thanks for all the replys everyone. I checked on them before lights out, the water is almost clear again, and they were all swimming around the tank. I will recheck the parameters in the morning but all is well.

13. F

Flufeeh Valued Member Member

Haha, so true.

Good luck with your tank. :;hf

14. OP
    OP
    b

oh no

Well rechecked all my parameters today. there great, only problem was i am missing a cherry barb. I knew exactly where she went. I have a aqua tech filter, that i keep panty hose on the end. during the clean up, i forgot to cover the intake when i was done. I found her in the filter this morning. that filter has cost me a few fish, and im done with it. I have a aqua clear 30 on there now. the aqua tech was the second filter on there cause i was seeding it for a new 10 gallon betta setup.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice