WOW! A gourami bubble nest AND my german blue rams have laid eggs!!!

1. choccybiccy Member Member

I don't know whats going down but LOTS of hormones in my community tank lol!! I discovered my Blue dwarf gourami nurturing what I now know ( cheers google!) to be a bubble nest, ( who knew I had a female? thought both were males!) The nest has successfully hatched little free swimming fry today which I VERY carefully transferred to a waiting cycled tank with low level water and no filter as advised... I am culturing some lettuce in a jam jar for food!! :;rocker

Anyway - so I decided to do a water change in the main tank having removed the bubble nest from the (now very aggressive) gourami and his tank mates who were all cowering in a corner, but I then discover ANOTHER amazing thing...! My female golden ram and male German blue ram are both taking turns guarding a flat leaf full of eggs!!!!!!!!!! I didn't think they had paired off but they obviously have done!! Can they successfully rear a hybrid bunch of fry? If so what are the chances of them surviving in the community tank? ( 2 dwarf gourami, 3 clown loach (baby) 5 neon tetra 3 khuli loach and one Dr Evil shrimp) The main problem right now seems to be The Rams versus the Gourami - Rams have the left side of the tank and Gourami the right side...Will Gourmi now build another nest do you think? He has a floating plastic lid and he seems to be gathering things already...

Feeling pretty cool that my tank is breeding although I didn't expect it!! But really would LOVE them to survive!

2. shayla1 Well Known Member Member

Congratulations on the Gourami fry and the ram eggs!!!! The gourami may build another nest, especially since he's done it once already.

Yes, the rams should be able to rear any fry that hatch, but being in the community tank will cut down survivors. If you plan to leave the ram fry in the tank, definitely make sure there are plenty of hiding spots for your babies.

Best of luck with your surprise babies!!!!

3. tropical fish Initiate Member

so lucky i got my fry by accident 2 the water my fush came in had fry in them cingrats abunch