Wow- a 2" black arowana for $

leeishom

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Only $140.
I might buy it.
But is this a good price? The LFS does include a 10 day warranty, i mean return purchase.

pinksprklmonkey

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
From what I've read that's a good price. Those guys get so big though! I could never have one cause I have no room for such a large aquarium! It's cool that you do! Good luck!

leeishom

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
You could always raise it to a point, to either buy bigger
tank or sell it.

pinksprklmonkey

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I could, but I like keeping my pets once I have them. I get attached. And I have read that to keep them happy you have to have 300 gallons tank just for one, and I live in a relatively small one bedroom apartment... my living room is not big enough! As is my 55 is encroaching on my space. lol

leeishom

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
well. having a big or bigger tank in regards of arowanas are always better.
after visiting all of the popular LFS around seattle, all of the asian owned housed full grown arowanas in either a 150 or 200; the non-asian owned did not display any arowanas.
so, i concluded that the very fact and intimidation of housing one would be substantial and costly.

ive asked all of the asian LFS about the minimum size tank a full grown arowana should be housed in, all its life. all of them said, ranging: 125 to 150 G, only 1 arowana.

peacemaker92

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
A lot of the LFS here in my country keep their full grown Arowana's in a tank ranging from 150 gallon to 200g but that's for the normal Arowanas such as the Red, Gold, Green, Pearl, etc, that don't grow as big as the Silver and the Black Arowanas. If you decide to keep a Black Arowana, it would really need a tank twice as big ranging from 300g to 400g.

But hope you decide to keep one anyway, it's a great experience and when it outgrows your tank, you can give it away for a good price. Best of luck!

platy ben

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
And also I assume you are going to put it in your 125 gallon, then you have 2 arowanas in a 125 gallon, for them both I would say atleast 400G.

peacemaker92

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Good point by Platy Ben. I wouldn't recommend putting another Arowana in a tank. Aggression issues could occur, they'd only be happy together if there are 6-7 more Arowanas in one tank or pond. If less than 6-7, you might have big problems. So 1 Arowana per tank.

leeishom

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
platy ben said:
And also I assume you are going to put it in your 125 gallon, then you have 2 arowanas in a 125 gallon, for them both I would say atleast 400G.
no..no black arowana for me. just my sil aro.
but i am dealing with a craiglister about a 400 G custom built tank, trying to get the price a little lower.

the thing is, its the stand that concerns me. a filled 400 G would weigh 3200 lbs.

platy ben

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Woah, that's HEAVY! How do they make stands strong enough for all that weight??

peacemaker92

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I would be worried about the flooring as well... The stand you could probably get it custom made or something. Not really sure about that...

leeishom

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
not sure about any one else, but i would fabricate and weld my own. if i did get that 400 G.

just as long(if using metal) 14 to 16 guage steel, with plenty of cross beams and angles.
then the floor would be my next concern. haha.

platy ben

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Do you have any concrete floors in your house?

My mum made me swap bedrooms with my sister so I could have a concrete floor , EDIT: With a carpet over obviously

leeishom

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
geez, i hope so...haha.
any ways, a tank no matter how big and heavy should be where the wall and floor meet; its the most stable and strongest point, compared to the center or around the center point of a room.

peacemaker92

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
leeishom said:
geez, i hope so...haha.
any ways, a tank no matter how big and heavy should be where the wall and floor meet; its the most stable and strongest point, compared to the center or around the center point of a room.
Yeah that's true but the corner would be probably safer.

bolivianbaby

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
How hardy are they? Could they survive in a pond in Seattle? That might be a safe way to house them without worrying about your floors.

leeishom

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
bolivianbaby said:
How hardy are they? Could they survive in a pond in Seattle? That might be a safe way to house them without worrying about your floors.
Seattle in general is too cold. I think the constant raining would help, since s. America always rains.

peacemaker92

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Having them in a pond can be quite challenging and pricey. And you'd need to make sure that you have a netting or some sort over the pond so that it doesn't jump out. I'm not sure if an arowana can survive the cold temperature though...

leeishom

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Arowana's cannot stand cold water. I think all arowanas demands are different; my baby aro gets aggitated if some thing(s) on the upper part of the water. After buying 2 hands full of duckweed, I had to throw all away.
My aro does not enjoy nor like any thing hovering above her.

I guess, she makes all the decisions regarding her tank.

btate617

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
There were some in town here last Oct.-Nov. on a fish list.

BLACK AROWANA
OSTEOGLOSSUM FERREIRAI
11"
WILD

Brian

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads