Wound Or Disease?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Sappy, Jun 18, 2019.

1. SappyNew MemberMember

One of my Dwarf Gouramis has 2 white bumps on him, one on its side and one near the mouth which is slightly pink. Does this look like a disease or is it possibly a wound? I do have another dwarf gourami in my tank and they do squabble some times but nothing serious.

I have a 20 gallon tank and the parameters are fine. But, I also noticed that some of my corys are having problems with their barbels all of a sudden, one even had a part of its nose area turn white. I attributed that to my increased dosing of excel last week which I have since lowered. Could this be related to the gourami issue?

here are some pictures of the Gourami.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Attached Files:

• Wound Or Disease?
      1.jpg
      File size:
      341.8 KB
      Views:
    • Wound Or Disease?
      2.jpg
      File size:
      321.8 KB
      Views:
  2. sarah.grobbelaarNew MemberMember

I’m so sorry but it looks like dwarf gourami disease. I had it in a powder blue, started showing the same wounds that yours have, then became thin and unfortunately died sooner after. By the time the first one was showing a wound, the others followed shortly after. I lost all 6. Highly contagious in dwarf gouramis, your other fish won’t get it but any other dwarf will already be infected. No cure.

Hopefully it is just a wound.

So sorry x

3. PeteSteversWell Known MemberMember

You may have some type of fungal infection going on. Especially since you say the cory has the white patch.

4. SappyNew MemberMember

Hopefully thats not the case since there is no cure. But after a quick reading about that disease, it doesnt seem to have any of those symptoms.

That's what I was thinking, is there any commonly recommended medicine for fungal infections? All I have is Melafix.

5. PeteSteversWell Known MemberMember

Do you have another tank you can separate the infected fish into? This is the preferred method. Then you can either use salt bath treatments or purchase an anti-fungal medication such as Melafix, API Fungus Cure or API Pimafix.

6. SappyNew MemberMember

Unfortunately I dont have another tank, would dosing my whole tank with pimafix be bad? Ive done it with melafix before and had no problems. Also it might help my corys.

7. PeteSteversWell Known MemberMember

Yes, you can treat your whole tank. Pimafix is a treatment for external fungal infections in fish. It will also treat bacterial infections, but Melafix is usually the first choice for bacterial infections. The bottle says you can use them both since we don't know if it is fungal or bacterial.

8. SappyNew MemberMember

Ok, I'll go pick up some Pimafix then, thanks for the help.

9. sarah.grobbelaarNew MemberMember

Fingers crossed for you x