40 Gallon Tank Wound on kuhli

Macjones
Tank
What is the water volume of the tank? 45
How long has the tank been running? 2 years
Does it have a filter? Hydor canister
Does it have a heater? Yes
What is the water temperature? 77
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.) 1 mystery snail, 2 neons, 5 minor tetra, 1 bristlenose pleco, 9 kuhli loaches

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? Every 2 weeks
How much of the water do you change? ~50%
What do you use to treat your water? Seachem Prime & Stability
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? Vacuum

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? Yes
What do you use to test the water? API kit
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 10ppm
pH: 7-7.6

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? 2x day
How much do you feed your fish?
What brand of food do you feed your fish? Mix of shrimp, zucchini, bug bites, bloodworms, crab cuisine and crisps
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? Frozen shrimp and Bloodworms

Our loach started to hang out by itself, not in the “log pile”with the others about 3 weeks ago. We noticed what appears to be a wound but it’s getting worse and now are wondering if it is a parasite. Started Melafix 6 days ago but finally got a good look at its belly. Recently lost a kuhli that had a visible lesion/wound on its belly as well. Also a neon but we believe the minor tetra are simply more aggressive feeders and the neons have been weak, perhaps due to over/in-breeding. No deaths for over a year before now. The kuhlis reproduced and once babies were big enough we rehomed 6 in September to bring the tank back to 9. Added the pleco and snail after we reduced the load of kuhlis same month. Both were in the quarantine tank for 30 days prior to introduction but we don’t think we treated them with General Cure. Help!

bcsay720
That's a strange wound. Definitely doesn't look like a nipping wound, which I sometimes suggest with tetras in the tank, nor a burn, which it could get from the heaters. Parasite does seem the most likely. I don't have experience with parasites (luckily), but hopefully someone else here can give advice. I'm not sure how good melafix is for parasites, since it's one of the "weaker" medicines. I don't have another to suggest at this time. Since you have others of the same species in the tank, I'd quarantine until you know for sure.
Also, do a 50% water change every other day using your Prime. Clean water always helps.

Macjones
bcsay720 said:
That's a strange wound. Definitely doesn't look like a nipping wound, which I sometimes suggest with tetras in the tank, nor a burn, which it could get from the heaters. Parasite does seem the most likely. I don't have experience with parasites (luckily), but hopefully someone else here can give advice. I'm not sure how good melafix is for parasites, since it's one of the "weaker" medicines. I don't have another to suggest at this time. Since you have others of the same species in the tank, I'd quarantine until you know for sure.
Also, do a 50% water change every other day using your Prime. Clean water always helps.
Thanks. We used Melafix without knowing what our fish’s problem is; planning to use General Cure after a 25% water change and hope to keep all the fishes!

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom