Would You Use This in a Scape?

Evergreen2

So in prepping to switch a Fluval Spec V to a rimless tank, I'm starting to think about the scape. It will be a 10g to 16g, most likely a divided tank. I was helping my mom clear stuff out and came upon this thing. It was a planter. Not sure of its material, possibly pumice. It is rough and I was thinking about covering it in
Epiphytes and similar plants.

Would you use it after a good long soak of water and put it in a fish tank?

Attachments

• 20210717_151056.jpg
    20210717_151056.jpg
    237.2 KB · Views: 53
  • 20210717_151205.jpg
    20210717_151205.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 53

Seasoldier

Hmmm, it looks very porous & fragile & also abrasive, personally I'd give it a miss in case it dissolved into the water, there's also potential for it to injure any fish that rubbed against it, have you done an acid test on it?

Upvote 0

Evergreen2

Hmmm, it looks very porous & fragile & also abrasive, personally I'd give it a miss in case it dissolved into the water, there's also potential for it to injure any fish that rubbed against it, have you done an acid test on it?

Given the texture, I would bet money that it is pumice. No, haven't had time. And hence the line about covering it in epiphytes plants like Anubias. Maybe petite nana?

Upvote 0

RMtanks

That's a very interesting piece. I would definitely agree it's a good idea to cover it with soft mosses and plants like petite anubias nana if you were going to use it. I might use it if there weren't any particularly delicate fish in the tank- like longfin bettas, or corydoras with fragile barbells. Definitely make sure to clean it good though! I bet lots of dirt could get stuck in those tiny cracks, so it might be a risk. It looks like it could be a really cool base for a planted paludarium too, maybe?

Upvote 0

Evergreen2

That's a very interesting piece. I would definitely agree it's a good idea to cover it with soft mosses and plants like petite anubias nana if you were going to use it. I might use it if there weren't any particularly delicate fish in the tank- like longfin bettas, or corydoras with fragile barbells. Definitely make sure to clean it good though! I bet lots of dirt could get stuck in those tiny cracks, so it might be a risk. It looks like it could be a really cool base for a planted paludarium too, maybe?
Do you think a King Placket betta would be OK?
And a long soak in fresh water would be enough to clean it?

Upvote 0

RMtanks

Probably. It depends on your individual fish's fins length. A shortfin like a plakat might be okay, if you cover the outsides with mosses or epiphytes- I've seen a tip somewhere where you should try rubbing pantyhose/leggings over it, and if they tear it's probably too sharp for a betta.
As for cleaning, I would suggest something a bit more thorough. Maybe try pouring hot/boiling water over it and then soaking it in that? I wouldn't suggest using soap or bleach or anything to clean it because I imagine if it is pumice, those chemicals could probably get absorbed inside the little cracks and pores. Maybe a few times scrubbing with a wire brush and dousing it in hot/boiling water to get it clean, and definitely do a PH test to see if it would leak calcite minerals. Definitely be cautious, but if it was safe enough it could be an interesting hardscape piece for a tank!

Upvote 0

bumblinBee

Plakats would probably be safe with that texture, I find plakats recover very quickly from fin nicks in general and far less susceptible to things like fin rot compared with their long finned counterparts. If you plan to cover in moss - all the better!

Tbh though I would do some testing with that piece if I were you. If it's been used as a planter it may have been exposed to fertilizers and if it's a porous stone I worry that may not be entirely safe for aquarium use...

Upvote 0

Evergreen2

I do have a king plakat in mind for that side. I have super hard water, so I'm not concerned about pH swings. And this would be almost fully covered in plants. A definite deep cleaning would be in order. As it is we use fertilizer in our planted tanks.
Thanks for the thought.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Teahaus
Replies
Views
Samuel97
  • Question
Replies