Would You Use Stability?

Photobelle

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I am cyclocya 20long with one platy (who may be pregnant) and 2 snails. We recently switched from a 10 to the 20. I also just added some Anubias and driftwood last night. I had been reading ammonia at 1 and my nitrates went down to 0. I have never measured nitrites. I recently started using prime and I put 6 drops in each 2.5 gallon bucket when I do the water change and the rest of the 2 ml in the tank. I tested the water today and the Ammonia was 1, nitrites 0 and nitrates back up to 5! I bought stability yesterday. I just did the water change and did the prime in each bucket. Would you add stability or just keep letting it do it's thing since my nitrates are back?

Mick Frost

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It's hard to say what's happening. How are you testing the water?
Have you tested the water out of the Tap? What are the levels?
Were these tests done before or after a water change?
Did you soak the driftwood?

Photobelle

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Mick Frost said:
It's hard to say what's happening. How are you testing the water?
Have you tested the water out of the Tap? What are the levels?
Were these tests done before or after a water change?
Did you soak the driftwood?
API test kit
Levels out it tap are 0
I have been working on cycling for a few months the ammonia just won't go away and nitrates won't increase
Driftwood and Anubis came from lfs
Tests were done before 50% water change and I added prime

Mick Frost

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'd try the Stability. Follow the instructions. Sounds like something is interfering with the cycle and either you're stalling or you're crashing. Give the foam a squeeze as well (apologies for the mess, it'll clear up).

Mom2some

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I would vote for using the Stability, especially since you have it. Glad your nitrates are back, but what is your Ammonia source aside from the one platy & 2 snails? I am amazed that in a 20 they can produce 1.0 ammonia in days. Learn something new everyday. My only other question is - has your pH been stable?

Photobelle

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Mom2some said:
I would vote for using the Stability, especially since you have it. Glad your nitrates are back, but what is your Ammonia source aside from the one platy & 2 snails? I am amazed that in a 20 they can produce 1.0 ammonia in days. Learn something new everyday. My only other question is - has your pH been stable?
Ph has been stable. I did have a molly and 2 other platies that died a few days ago. I did a water change but it prolly would take a few to clear out the ammonia from them. A neighbor is having pipe work done and that's all I can think of thag would have made the other fish all die the same day

Photobelle

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I used the stability and will test the water later. If the ammonia and nitrites are under 1 I'll dose with prime and stability for the 20 g. If above I'll do a water change and then dose. I obviously keep using prime since it's a water conditioner. But once I am cycled can I use other water conditioners? I have a bottle of aqueon I would like to use up. Also when do I stop using stability?

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Photobelle said:
I used the stability and will test the water later. If the ammonia and nitrites are under 1 I'll dose with prime and stability for the 20 g. If above I'll do a water change and then dose. I obviously keep using prime since it's a water conditioner. But once I am cycled can I use other water conditioners? I have a bottle of aqueon I would like to use up. Also when do I stop using stability?
You stop stability when you are cycled, though you can use it when new fish are added as a boost to the tank's good bacteria (not as if you are trying to cycle, just a small boost for the filter).

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom