Would you trust a 40 year old tank?

kansas
I'll be setting up a 40 gallon tank in the fall. I have one that is maybe 40 years old that has been used as a terrarium for the last 25.

Can I fill it up out in the yard just in case and if it doesn't leak, set it up, or am asking for trouble and should get a new one?

Waste not want not. On the other hand, nobody needs the mess if it fails.

malety31
kansas said:
I'll be setting up a 40 gallon tank in the fall. I have one that is maybe 40 years old that has been used as a terrarium for the last 25.

Can I fill it up out in the yard just in case and if it doesn't leak, set it up, or am asking for trouble and should get a new one?

I would purchase a new one, the last thing you want is 40 gallons of water leaking on your floor, but you could try resealing the edges with new silicone.

Dechi
I wouldn’t use it unless the seal has been redone at least.

But knowing me I would be paranoid to use it and just sell it as a terrarium and get a new one.

PurpleReign19
kansas said:

As said above, resealing the edges might make it dependable but its always risky.

kansas
It's always good to be told what you want to hear. I'll get a new one.

Thanks.

barbiespoodle
I have a 55 gallon that has been going non stop for about 30 years now and it was bought used to boot.

That being said, I stress constantly over the tank. Last week it seemed the water level was going down faster than normal and I have marker marks on the tank to show me how much. But at the same time my furnace was broken and the room was cold while the water was warm, thus evaporation since this week the water level is stable. But it was that stress factor about the age of the tank.

What I'm trying to say is that while the older tanks are IMHO made better, it might not be worth it with a tank that old.

If you chose to try, then defiantly fill it first in an area where you don't worry about water damage, as you stated, in the yard, been there, done that except I do it in the basement. I still do that with new tanks because I'm sorry to say, new tanks just don't seem to be as well made as the older models and I've had brand new tanks leak.

And even if it does hold water, remember, it is an old tank and there is still a risk.

In the end, it's up to you if it's worth the risk.

kansas
I was looking for support to buy a new tank, and I knew I could find it here.

Thanks, Fishlore peeps.

barbiespoodle
kansas said:
I was looking for support to buy a new tank, and I knew I could find it here.

Thanks, Fishlore peeps.
LOL, I've been trying to use the same excuse to get a new tank. I don't want a another tank,, already have 5 plus a temp, just one to replace the old one in order to stop stressing over it.

I have nightmares about it going suddenly and not only dealing with the water damage, but being able to get a new tank, move all the decorations, plants, water, and fish at a moments notice.

If I get a new tank, I can at least be prepared for the move, have enough buckets to hold at least 50% of the tank water, being able to remove and keep the filters, decorations, plants and substrate in even more buckets of tank water to keep the beneficial bacteria alive (buckets are no problem for me, can get all I need at work). Won't be easy but at least I would be prepared.

Problem being, the hubby isn't buying my reasoning. He figures it's been going just fine for over 30 years so why stress. I just don't want the day to come when he finds out the hard way why I do stress.

kansas
Friend of mine came home to find her 75 gallon tank had come apart at the seams.

chromedome52
I have 10 gallon tanks that I've been using for more than 40 years. That said, I would be hesitant with a 40 breeder, as they tend to be more susceptible to stress from improper seating, and I think the older ones were often made with thinner glass.

Does that help your cause?

kansas
If it had had water in it the whole time, I wouldn't worry, but I don't know what 25 years half full of dirt and rocks does.

Latest threads

Top Bottom