Would You Get The Tank?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mazeus

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I have a longer term plan of getting a larger tank to add to my 15g and 5g. I live in the UK in a victorian terrace (so a tiny house). I had found a few tanks that I was interested in and regularly keep my eye on gumtree (website where people sell stuff-not sure if it is international). I had been looking at 120L (30G) 130l (35g) tanks (these are tall tanks as I have a space in my house that is 65cm wide, so I can't have longer).

Today I was perusing gumtree when I saw a 2ftx2ftx2ft tank for free. It's filthy (but I can certainly clean). Doesn't have a filter or heater and would probably need new lights. Now I have very little extra cash at the mo, so free is good, but this is a much bigger tank (55G) than I was originally looking for.

What do others think? Should I persue the free tank and add to it as and when I have the money?

AshyMurphy

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Hello all,

I have a longer term plan of getting a larger tank to add to my 15g and 5g. I live in the UK in a victorian terrace (so a tiny house). I had found a few tanks that I was interested in and regularly keep my eye on gumtree (website where people sell stuff-not sure if it is international). I had been looking at 120L (30G) 130l (35g) tanks (these are tall tanks as I have a space in my house that is 65cm wide, so I can't have longer).

Today I was perusing gumtree when I saw a 2ftx2ftx2ft tank for free. It's filthy (but I can certainly clean). Doesn't have a filter or heater and would probably need new lights. Now I have very little extra cash at the mo, so free is good, but this is a much bigger tank (55G) than I was originally looking for.

What do others think? Should I persue the free tank and add to it as and when I have the money?
You would be alot better off getting your own new tank with all accessories with it - filter, heater, lights. and would be alot nicer and also a guarantee with it. you never know what your getting second hand there could be scratches or cracks hiding somewhere, best off getting a new one

OP
Mazeus

Mazeus

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your view, I really don't want to buy a new tank. They are so expensive and a second hand tank could be just as good. I'm not afraid to re-seal if necessary.

OP
Mazeus

Mazeus

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I’d say pick the free tank up. Water test for 24 hours in the bath tub. If it leaks it was free at least....
Yeah, that was my thought. Nothing ventured! If I bought this particular tank new it would be £500. I would fill it out in the garden before bringing it in the house.

NavyChief20

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yeah, that was my thought. Nothing ventured! If I bought this particular tank new it would be £500. I would fill it out in the garden before bringing it in the house.
It's free get it. Worst case it has a crack and you toss it. Best case it just needs cleaning and a reseal, then you get some equipment and build a custom hood and you have a nice show tank.

shutterbug13

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Cubes don't really have the best shape for stocking but they can look really cool. As you pointed out, this tank would cost £500 if it was new so what I would do personally is get it, test if it leaks, reseal it if necessary, clean it up and then sell it for a nice profit (not £500 since it's used, maybe £100-200?) and use the money to buy a larger tank.

JLeeM

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Free is free. Plus, you won't have all the extra junk equipment that comes in the kits. All that ends up getting replaced anyway. I'd get it, see what could be done with it at least.

Ms rose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hello all,

It's free get it, even if you have to store it. It's a great gallon thank I wouldn't pass it up.

NavyChief20

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would get the free tank , it's free. You can always get the tank you want, you can go cheap till you can get more. Most of my light on the tanks in my shop are cheap under counter lights from Walmart, air pump and sponge filter.
It's really cheap and easy to build your own hoods and lights. Plus 90% of the time they look better

OP
Mazeus

Mazeus

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, seems like I missed it. Oh, well. Next time I won't hesitate. Even if it is an aquarium that I don't particularly want I will get it and clean it up for resale. Thanks for the advice all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom