Would You Class This As A Hob Filter?

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by Hill Dweller, Apr 16, 2017.

1. Hill Dweller

Hill Dweller Well Known Member Member

Our 10 gallon came as a "kit" with lights built into the hood and a filter that looks like this one pictured which run across the top under the hood.

I never know what to call it. The best I can tell it works the same as a HOB, in that water comes out of the tank, passes through a sponge layer then charcoal then a polishing pad before falling down into the tank. There is very good opportunity for gas exchange as the water is exposed to the air as it runs across the top of the sponges.

So what would you call it? :)

Attached Files:

2. Al913

Al913 Fishlore VIP Member

Yes, it is the same thing just that the water flow goes horozontally

3. OP
    OP
    Hill Dweller

Hill Dweller Well Known Member Member

Thanks, that's what I was thinking but Google wasn't turning up anything except the AliBaba listing where I got the picture from, and even that wasn't any help :)

4. Al913

basically HOBs are literally filters that hang on the back of the tank :)!

5. kluggy

kluggy Valued Member Member

6. Al913

Wet and dry filters have sumps :)

7. grantm91

grantm91 Fishlore VIP Member

It is a trickle filter but the tank is the sump basicaly the BOYU tanks come with them here in the uk i believe

8. grantm91

You could easily change up the media on it if thats what you wanted to do

9. Al913

How is the tank the sump? All the media is in the filter :). A sump is where you store the media. Not all HOBs run on cartridge if that is what is confusing people, the AquaClear filters are just like canister filters except they hang on the back of the tank and push the water through like a water fall rather than a hose.

I think the best way to compare this filter is the AquaClear filters. In the AC filter the water is pushed up then right, under the basket. The flow causes the water to go up the basket thus going through the media. The water then overflows into the tank. In this filter, water goes up and then goes left across. The water then goes down(rather than up) and into the media. Like the AC filter there is a gap between the media and the bottom of the filter. The water than goes out into an output underneath the water similar to a canister filter

10. 2211Nighthawk

2211Nighthawk Fishlore VIP Member

I'd say HOB. It's 'mounted' directly to the tank itself, not off to the side or anything. A canister filter is exactly that. A canister (usually on the ground) that is fed from the tank through a hose and then up through a hose back into the tank.

11. grantm91

Its an over head trickle filter is what im saying fair point the tank is the sump was wrong i was referring to the filter where the tank has an outlet and the water runs through the media to the sump i knew what i ment haha

12. Al913

True!

13. Al913

I guess we can call it a compact HOB trickle filter

14. kluggy

kluggy Valued Member Member

It's to my knowledge that Wet and dry filters are called wet and dry because the filter/media aren't submerged in water yet are wet (water trickles through the media). a sump is not required.

15. grantm91

If you like lol

16. grantm91

The only time you will see this is if it comes incorporated with the lid, i doubt alot of people would want this its not very appealing unless it comes with the tank [​IMG] [​IMG]. 2 examples

17. grantm91

Missed this comment but yeah what this guy said

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice