Would you buy saltwater mollies?

ChrissFishes01

Hey guys!

I've got a trio of saltwater mollies in a 10 gallon, and was wondering what the general consensus is on buying them already acclimated to Saltwater versus doing it yourself. I've sold a few to a store for $2 a pop (they sell them at $6), but I've not been saving the fry because I wasn't prepared with tanks to hold them. Do you guys think it could be a "profitable" (AKA I want to break even) venture to try my luck with selling some Saltwater mollies?

Thanks!

NC122606

Hey guys!

I've got a trio of saltwater mollies in a 10 gallon, and was wondering what the general consensus is on buying them already acclimated to Saltwater versus doing it yourself. I've sold a few to a store for $2 a pop (they sell them at $6), but I've not been saving the fry because I wasn't prepared with tanks to hold them. Do you guys think it could be a "profitable" (AKA I want to break even) venture to try my luck with selling some Saltwater mollies?

Thanks!
I mean if you are selling them to pet stores then that is great!
I would not call this profitable. You may be using more $ to supply your tank with the right items than you are selling mollies. But this is might be fun to do! It is pretty hard to break even when selling fish like this and even many others!

If you wanted to have at least a bigger chance then you could try Discus. (That is another whole story)

saltwater60

I doubt it. If your doing a saltwater tank I would think most other people would want brighter saltwater fish. I’ve never heard anyone say man I want a Molly for my saltwater tank. I’ve spoken with hundreds if not thousands of saltwater fish keeper.

NC122606

I doubt it. If your doing a saltwater tank I would think most other people would want brighter saltwater fish. I’ve never heard anyone say man I want a Molly for my saltwater tank. I’ve spoken with hundreds if not thousands of saltwater fish keeper.
Agreed, the only thing people want mollies for is the brand new predator tank.

ChrissFishes01

I appreciate the advice!

Seems as if most people like mollies in salt mainly for the novelty, and some sailfin varieties look pretty great under actinics. Maybe I'll toss them into my FOWLR tank once it's set up and see if the fry can survive in that setting, so I'm not using two tanks and a lot of equipment for them. Thanks!

emeraldking

Well, there is a serious number of enthusiasts who love to keep mollies in saltwater. It's also not a novelty to be honest. But it's more of a novelty amongst average households. For keeping mollies in saltwater is something that exsist much longer already. But it's something a lot of fish keepers don't do. It's mostly done by people who are more experienced.

But it will always remain a personal preference when it comes to saltwater what kind of fish you like to see in there.

kallililly1973

I would try to raise the fry in the current tank their breeding in and continue to sell them to your LFS even if u don’t profit at least it’s money towards other things

ChrissFishes01

That's the plan! They went into my 37 gallon. We'll see if any fry raise up!

ogwog

I bought a Molly for my tank and immediately my white belly wrasse started attacking him. He was dead by the next morning. I thought it looked nice but man that wrasse did not like him.

e_watson09

As a big saltwater person I can say I'd never go for a molly for my salt tanks. Most salt people use them for feeder fish for predators. There are some people that keep them in their tanks but more often than not they're just feeders.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
mrsP
Replies
Views
KribensisLover1
Replies
Views
BettaCentral
Replies
Views