Would You Add Bamboo Charcoal To Your Tank?

Do you like Bamboo Charcoal?

• Yes!

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters

CalebF

Reaction score
Not sure if this counts as driftwood but I was wondering what you guys think of it. My plan is to start up a small home operation to make this to sell for aquariums. Would anybody be interested?
(note this is not an ad, just trying to guage interest)

Bamboo charcoal for decoration?
Charcoal.jpeg Charcoal.jpg IMG_1625.jpg

Attachments

DutchAquarium

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
maybe not as a decoration but rather as a filter media. How much would you be selling it for?

CalebF

Reaction score
DutchAquarium said:
maybe not as a decoration but rather as a filter media. How much would you be selling it for?
I'd sell a pint of the smaller pieces for $4

DutchAquarium

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
what about shipping?

CalebF

Reaction score
DutchAquarium said:
what about shipping?
$3.75 is the cheapest shipping option

Wraithen

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Nope. I wouldn't add anything burned to my tank, especially if I didnt burn it. I have no idea what chains form from burning bamboo, nor how it was burned. The deterioration would be a concern as well, making an ash mess.

CalebF

Reaction score
Wraithen said:
Nope. I wouldn't add anything burned to my tank, especially if I didnt burn it. I have no idea what chains form from burning bamboo, nor how it was burned. The deterioration would be a concern as well, making an ash mess.
I've had it in my tank for years with no issues. It does not deteriorate.

Wraithen

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Good to know! I'll admit it looks cool. I have a charred hollow log in mine, but that's only because they didnt have brown paint for the pvc pipe I made into a log.

Lorekeeper

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Any organic will likely deteriorate in water. It's just the rate at which it will deteriorate.

I personally wouldn't do it, as I'm honestly wary of anything "unusual" going into my tanks.

But, I can't think of any reason why it'd be bad, other than the chemicals they used to burn it and the deterioration factor.

scarface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I wonder if the charcoal will actually absorb any impurities in the water.

Wraithen

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
scarface said:
I wonder if the charcoal will actually absorb any impurities in the water.
Possible a trace amount, but not much and not for long.

CalebF

Reaction score
Lorekeeper said:
Any organic will likely deteriorate in water. It's just the rate at which it will deteriorate.

I personally wouldn't do it, as I'm honestly wary of anything "unusual" going into my tanks.

But, I can't think of any reason why it'd be bad, other than the chemicals they used to burn it and the deterioration factor.
Thanks for your input. There are no added chemicals used to burn it, it is simply heated to a high temperature in an oxygen free environment. When charcoal is made, the vast majority of organic compounds are vaporized by the high heat. What is left is mostly carbon which is in a grey area when it comes to classifying it as "organic" or not. While it is possible for charcoal to decompose, it happens at a very low rate, and the product is carbon dioxide (no solid matter). Thanks!

Wraithen

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
CalebF said:
Thanks for your input. There are no added chemicals used to burn it, it is simply heated to a high temperature in an oxygen free environment. When charcoal is made, the vast majority of organic compounds are vaporized by the high heat. What is left is mostly carbon which is in a grey area when it comes to classifying it as "organic" or not. While it is possible for charcoal to decompose, it happens at a very low rate, and the product is carbon dioxide (no solid matter). Thanks!
I have to ask, why didnt you post all of this in the beginning. I'm sure there's a small market for it of that's what you're after. I think they look kind of cool. They don't fit for my tank, but I do like them. Being that there are (supposedly) no chains formed that will harm anything or distort water parameters, they are effectively nearly inert. Cool idea. How did you heat them in an O2 free environment?

Adrian Burke

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I would buy that.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads