Would You Add Bamboo Charcoal To Your Tank? Question

Discussion in 'Polls' started by CalebF, Apr 23, 2018.

?

Do you like Bamboo Charcoal?

1. Yes!

2 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. No

2 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. CalebFNew MemberMember

Not sure if this counts as driftwood but I was wondering what you guys think of it. My plan is to start up a small home operation to make this to sell for aquariums. Would anybody be interested?
    (note this is not an ad, just trying to gauge interest)

Bamboo charcoal for decoration?
    Charcoal.jpegCharcoal.jpgIMG_1625.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2018
  2. DutchAquariumWell Known MemberMember

maybe not as a decoration but rather as a filter media. How much would you be selling it for?

3. CalebFNew MemberMember

I'd sell a pint of the smaller pieces for $4

4. DutchAquariumWell Known MemberMember

what about shipping?

5. CalebFNew MemberMember

$3.75 is the cheapest shipping option

6. WraithenWell Known MemberMember

Nope. I wouldn't add anything burned to my tank, especially if I didnt burn it. I have no idea what chains form from burning bamboo, nor how it was burned. The deterioration would be a concern as well, making an ash mess.

7. CalebFNew MemberMember

I've had it in my tank for years with no issues. It does not deteriorate.

8. WraithenWell Known MemberMember

Good to know! I'll admit it looks cool. I have a charred hollow log in mine, but that's only because they didnt have brown paint for the pvc pipe I made into a log.

9. LorekeeperWell Known MemberMember

Any organic will likely deteriorate in water. It's just the rate at which it will deteriorate.

I personally wouldn't do it, as I'm honestly wary of anything "unusual" going into my tanks.

But, I can't think of any reason why it'd be bad, other than the chemicals they used to burn it and the deterioration factor.

10. scarfaceFishlore VIPMember

I wonder if the charcoal will actually absorb any impurities in the water.

11. WraithenWell Known MemberMember

Possible a trace amount, but not much and not for long.

12. CalebFNew MemberMember

Thanks for your input. There are no added chemicals used to burn it, it is simply heated to a high temperature in an oxygen free environment. When charcoal is made, the vast majority of organic compounds are vaporized by the high heat. What is left is mostly carbon which is in a grey area when it comes to classifying it as "organic" or not. While it is possible for charcoal to decompose, it happens at a very low rate, and the product is carbon dioxide (no solid matter). Thanks!

13. WraithenWell Known MemberMember

I have to ask, why didnt you post all of this in the beginning. I'm sure there's a small market for it of that's what you're after. I think they look kind of cool. They dont fit for my tank, but I do like them. Being that there are (supposedly) no chains formed that will harm anything or distort water parameters, they are effectively nearly inert. Cool idea. How did you heat them in an O2 free environment?

14. Adrian BurkeValued MemberMember

I would buy that.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice