Would Threadfin Rainbows Work In This Community?

Akeath

I’m looking into a second schooler for my 40 gallon breeder sometime in the future, and am wondering if Threadfin Rainbows would work. I’ve heard Threadfins are more timid and shy than other Rainbows and so need very peaceful, placid tank mates and am wondering if my fish would qualify or not.

Tankmates:
7 Harlequin Rasboras
1 Bolivian Ram
2 female Honey Sunset Gourami
1 Longfin Albino Bristlenose Pleco
A few Mystery Snails (I plan to have around 2-4 when I get the second school)
4 Amano Shrimp
7 Corydoras (Aeneus and False Julii)
Possibly male Platies, although I think I may not have the Platies in this tank by the time I get my second schooling fish in here

I’ve kept Praecox Rainbows before, but that’s the only type of Rainbow I’ve had. I loved those, but think they may be a bit too large and active for the comfort of my Honey Gourami. How's the activity level of Threadfins compared to Praecox Rainbows? Are there any other smaller, somewhat more placid species of small Rainbows or Blue Eyes that could work, if Threadfins would not?

The tank is a 40 gallon breeder that’s already been set up for a couple years. It has driftwood (boiled so it won’t release tannins) and sandstone rocks as hardscape, is fairly densely planted with mostly fake plants but some live ones interspersed, with floating plants to dim the lighting and a smooth sand substrate. There’s an open area for swimming up front. It has two filters adjusted to produce low current, a temperature of 75 degrees, the pH is 7.4 pH, and the hardness is 10 dGH.

Yeoy

I'm assuming your ram pretty much sticks to the bottom? I don't know how active/voracious your gouramis are. But I'd be concerned about the platies. Threadfins are much smaller than they look in the pics. Platies are quite active eaters and would probably outcompete them and be boisterous. Same with all blue-eyes really.

Upvote 0

GlennO

I’ve never kept Threadfins but it might work although I’ve read that they do best in species only tanks. Aside from their timid nature their very small mouths might make proper feeding more difficult in a community tank. Blue Eyes might be a slightly better choice. I have some with a few Honey Gourami with no problems. I also have some Endlers in there but I wouldn’t keep them with larger livebearers which can be quite boisterous. Bottom dwellers like catish and dwarf cichlids shouldn't be an issue except as egg eaters.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Megaanemp
  • Question
Replies
Views
TClare
Replies
Views
ProudPapa