Would this work? 5 Gallon Tank 

Kristyn

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Ok this is just an idea that will probably never happen but I figured I would throw it out there and see if it's possible. I have an ecplise 5 gal and I was wondering if I can convert it into a salt water tank? Would I be able to use the same components that came with the tank? I would only house fish or sea horses. Any advice is more than welcome

smileyfish

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
It would need a few upgrades I believe, but it could easily work. If you ever decide to put coral in, then you would most likely need to research some retrofits for better lighting. The filtration would be fine, but you should keep a watchful eye on the nitrate levels. I'm not sure you could buy sea horses for such a small tank, but there are definetly some options for fish. I have a 5.5 and started out with a pistol/bullet shrimp and goby, who dig a burrow and live together in it. Or maybe a royal gramma basslet. Firefish are beautiful. Or you could do just invertebrates. Shrimp, sea star, sea urchin, maybe even a sea apple or something (definetly do research on that one).

In saltwater usually multiply the tank size by about 10 and that's how much you'll spend. 1/3 is usually for the equipment (which you alreeady have). 1/3 on live sand and rock (necessary and the most concentrated expenses). then the last 1/3 on inhabitants (which is spent over a longer period of time). So you'll probably spend about $30-40, but if you really wanted you might find a fish that would be ok but is over $100.

funkman262

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
You shouldn't have any issues using that tank for a Saltwater system. Just realize that it's always difficult to keep your parameters steady with smaller volumes of water. Expect your temperature and salinity to vary throughout the day. You'll need to keep up on top-offs probably twice a day or your salinity may rise quickly and kill the inhabitants. You should look into using a HOB filter as a fuge, or maybe even set up a sump.

A pair of dwarf seahorses should be fine in a 5 gallon. I was looking into getting some but decided against it because I read they're fairly difficult to keep. I think it had something to do with feeding them but I don't remember for sure. As always when stocking a tank, research, research and research before you decide on a species

As far as the cost, I feel like the 10x rule that was stated is a gross under-estimation (unless you're trying to achieve the absolute minimum that's required in maintaining a tank). Of course, it depends on how involved you're trying to get with the hobby, but you can easily spend 100x the size of the tank. I'm somewhere around 70x right now and am just getting started. My buddy has a 5 gallon and has probably spent almost as much as me so he'd be around 120x. So keep that in mind if that might become an issue.

Kristyn

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Thank you both

I don't ever intend on keeping corals, at least not in that tank, too much of a hassle and from what I've read they can be pretty pricey. Like I said, this is only an idea and if I do decide to go through with it, it certainly won't be any time soon due to my lack of knowledge in salt water tanks lol

As far as filtration, I have the original bio-wheel filter that came with the tank, is that sufficient? Is a sump necessary? I want to keep the tank pretty basic but I don't want to compromise on quality either.

I've done some reading on the dwarf seahorses and don't you have to grow their food? Idk if I'm up to that task lol I guess they are out...

kloseo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I would put a larger filter on the tank, I like to get around 10 and up tank turnovers per hour to keep the water parimeters ok, you could probablie get away with no protein skimmer if y ou did weekly water changes faithfully, I aggree that there are some really nice nano fish and inverts that are possible candidates, best of luck

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Top Bottom