Would this work?

Cheesecake

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
wtusa1783 said:
Woah there I wasn’t trying to offend anyone buddy. Sorry if I didn’t word it right I was trying to see if anyone had done it. Y’all said “it PROBABLY won’t work” sounding like you’ve never tried it. Just trying to see from someone who had actually done it before because I had seen videos of people doing it. Thanks for trying to make something out of nothing
You're good :).
I said probably because yeah, I've never done it with guppies, but based on the behaviour of said guppies I assumed that they would eat any and all shrimp that they were housed with. I apologize if I was incorrect :).
Given that there are accounts about guppies and RCS living together peacefully, along with other accounts saying the opposite, I would go with kallililly1973 suggestion and start on a small scale if at all, to see how it goes.

tjander

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Mr. Kgnao said:
If I had a tank with guppies and neocaridinae and the guppies were seriously predating their own fry before the shrimp colony collapsed, my first diagnosis would be underfeeding.
So, maybe not completely accurate in my statement

I did not mix guppies and RCS. I firmly believe RCS and fish in the same tank is no a good idea if you want a colony of shrimp. That point had been made very clear over and over.

Guppies alone in the tank. What the adults did was to hunt down and eat the fry.

Your best bet if you want shrimp and fish in a tank go with Amano’s or bamboo shrimp. RCS in my experience will not thrive in a tank with 99% of any fish. There are exceptions and variables but in whole it’s just not a good idea.

Mr. Kgnao

Well Known
Reaction score
tjander said:
So, maybe not completely accurate in my statement

I did not mix guppies and RCS. I firmly believe RCS and fish in the same tank is no a good idea if you want a colony of shrimp. That point had been made very clear over and over.

Guppies alone in the tank. What the adults did was to hunt down and eat the fry.

Your best bet if you want shrimp and fish in a tank go with Amano’s or bamboo shrimp. RCS in my experience will not thrive in a tank with 99% of any fish. There are exceptions and variables but in whole it’s just not a good idea.
So have you ever tried neocaridinae with any fish? I suppose it's possible that all the fish I've successfully kept colonies of shrimp with are in that 1%, but in all my experience has been very much the opposite of yours.

tjander

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have watched a Cory cat eat a baby cherry shrimp. I have feed my threadfin rainbows cherry shrimp culls and watched them snap at them. I have watch ghost shrimp attack baby cherry shrimp. Neons hunt them down and pick at them.

So yes I have. Again, if someone asks can you keep Neocaridinae with fish I will always say no. If you are not willing to lose some of your shrimp. Some might be all the fry or a portion of them, but in my experience yes you will experience some lose.

This is why I say if you must do it. Then wait to add fish until you have a good stable and sustainable population of shrimp.

I realize this may not be a popular opinion but understand this is my opinion based on my personal observations.

Mr. Kgnao

Well Known
Reaction score
While I've never seen a cory eat a shrimp (this could just be because I don't keep very many corydoras), and I've never kept shrimp with threadfins, I have to agree that neons + neos = absolute carnage.

And yeah, you're definitely going to lose some shrimplets, and the more predatory the fish the more robust you'd want the colony to be before you add them, but in most circumstances, with the right precautions, the growth rate will remain positive.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom