Would this work?

wtusa1783

Reaction score
So my electric blue acara breed and I am now in the breeding business I guess you could say. Since being in the hobby, for only about 4 months, I’ve always wanted to breed guppies. I have a ten gallon and want to start breeding them. I also have seen many videos of red cherry shrimp breeding like crazy. Would it work to have guppies and red cherry shrimp breeding in the same tank?

Cheesecake

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
wtusa1783 said:
So my electric blue acara breed and I am now in the breeding business I guess you could say. Since being in the hobby, for only about 4 months, I’ve always wanted to breed guppies. I have a ten gallon and want to start breeding them. I also have seen many videos of red cherry shrimp breeding like crazy. Would it work to have guppies and red cherry shrimp breeding in the same tank?
Probably not. The guppy would eat all of the shrimp babies.

OP
W

wtusa1783

Reaction score
Canaculus said:
Probably not. The guppy would eat all of the shrimp babies.
I’ve watched many videos of guppy and cherry shrimp breeding in the same tank

OP
W

wtusa1783

Reaction score
Canaculus said:
Were the shrimp all adults or were there some young ones as well?
Both the guppies and shrimp were breeding so yes both adults and babies

tjander

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
@op you asked if it would work to have guppies and cherry shrimp in the same tank. Canaculus accurately said probably not. Yet you counter his advice that you openly sought out and said you have seen videos where it was done.
First I want to say no the guppies will eat the shrimp fry. Second I would respectfully ask you why you asked if it would work and when told no you dismiss the advice that you received. Why ask the question if you are not going to at least consider the advice given

JettsPapa

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I believe you can have them together, because I've seen those videos also. However, you'll need to provide plenty of cover for the baby shrimp to hide in, and some of them (maybe most of them) will almost certainly still be eaten.

OP
W

wtusa1783

Reaction score
tjander said:
@op you asked if it would work to have guppies and cherry shrimp in the same tank. Canaculus accurately said probably not. Yet you counter his advice that you openly sought out and said you have seen videos where it was done.
First I want to say no the guppies will eat the shrimp fry. Second I would respectfully ask you why you asked if it would work and when told no you dismiss the advice that you received. Why ask the question if you are not going to at least consider the advice given
Woah there I wasn’t trying to offend anyone buddy. Sorry if I didn’t word it right I was trying to see if anyone had done it. Y’all said “it PROBABLY won’t work” sounding like you’ve never tried it. Just trying to see from someone who had actually done it before because I had seen videos of people doing it. Thanks for trying to make something out of nothing

Mr. Kgnao

Well Known
Reaction score
It can work, I've done it, it's not even particularly difficult. Fancy guppies are one of the best fish to keep shrimp with as they're not very strong swimmers and have almost no natural hunting instinct remaining. You can keep and breed neocaridinae with most any fish that will tolerate harder water, it's just a matter of giving the shrimp a place to hide: rock piles, stem plants, drift wood, etc...

OP
W

wtusa1783

Reaction score
Mr. Kgnao said:
It can work, I've done it, it's not even particularly difficult. Fancy guppies are one of the best fish to keep shrimp with as they're not very strong swimmers and have almost no natural hunting instinct remaining. You can keep and breed neocaridinae with most any fish that will tolerate harder water, it's just a matter of giving the shrimp a place to hide: rock piles, stem plants, drift wood, etc...
Thank you very much. That was the answer I was looking for. I wanted someone who had done it and knows exactly what would happen. Thanks again

tjander

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
First off not trying to make any issues... Just pointing out you asked for advise got it then rejected it, now someone else offers you an experience that worked for them and your good.

Well not to complicate things, I am here to tell you just the opposite. I had guppies destroy a shrimp colony and as proof I offer you look at what they will do to there own fry. Yep they eat most of them. So this is my opinion and an answer to your question no it won’t.

If you want to risk it go for it I would encourage you to do some research on how to setup the shrimp tank and what water parameters are needed. Also, add your fish last after you have the shrimp up and building a colony. I would think 9 to 12 month is the earliest I would add the fish, this will give the shrimp a fighting chance by having numbers on their side.

Wishing you only Good luck.

OP
W

wtusa1783

Reaction score
tjander said:
First off not trying to make any issues... Just pointing out you asked for advise got it then rejected it, now someone else offers you an experience that worked for them and your good.

Well not to complicate things, I am here to tell you just the opposite. I had guppies destroy a shrimp colony and as proof I offer you look at what they will do to there own fry. Yep they eat most of them. So this is my opinion and an answer to your question no it won’t.

If you want to risk it go for it I would encourage you to do some research on how to setup the shrimp tank and what water parameters are needed. Also, add your fish last after you have the shrimp up and building a colony. I would think 9 to 12 month is the earliest I would add the fish, this will give the shrimp a fighting chance by having numbers on their side.

Wishing you only Good luck.
Thank you didn’t want to have beef with anyone. Wish you would’ve said u already tried it. The reason I said thanks to the dude who did it is because he said he already had done it. I was looking for feedback from people who had already done it.

OP
W

wtusa1783

Reaction score
Ok so since I’m getting mixed thoughts I would rather breed shrimp than guppies so maybe the mix wouldn’t be the best. What fish would go good with shrimp in a 10?

qldmick

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
try it, when I brought cherrys they were pulled out of a shrimp/guppy mixed tank from the breeder.
some people on here recommend cherries with fighting fish, but that one didn't work for me.

OP
W

wtusa1783

Reaction score
qldmick said:
try it, when I brought cherrys they were pulled out of a shrimp/guppy mixed tank from the breeder.
some people on here recommend cherries with fighting fish, but that one didn't work for me.
Would you recommend guppies and cherry shrimp in same tank?

Mr. Kgnao

Well Known
Reaction score
If I had a tank with guppies and neocaridinae and the guppies were seriously predating their own fry before the shrimp colony collapsed, my first diagnosis would be underfeeding.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom