would this work?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by featherblue, Dec 25, 2012.

1. f

featherblue Well Known Member Member

Ive now enclosed or lidded all my tanks with plant lights. I was considering this as a less expensive bulb option

Would it work? Its only 3 w more than I'm running, correctt k range......would the lidsvprotect it enough to be safe?

2. monkeypie102

monkeypie102 Well Known Member Member

You mean for plants or fish/inverts or the hood?

3. OP
    OP
    f

1. Work in aquarium enviroment
    2. Supply light needed for med/low light plants
    3. Not short and die every 2-3 months

4. monkeypie102

Ahh well my brother has used something like that in one of his old setups... took about 8 months to burn out... I am using one now for my 2g and the Xmas moss seems to benifit from it, but it hasn't been on very long...

But i would wait on more experianced members to answer on this...

5. jetajockey

jetajockey Fishlore VIP Member

Yes daylight cfls work good for planted tanks. On 20g's and up they are pretty much low-medium light, but still not bad. If it gets water splashed up on it , it might short out or something, but normally they are fine and last for quite a while.

6. OP
    OP
    f

Its my 2 10g shrimp tanks, and each gets a pair of bulbs......I cant keep justifying the $12 aquarium bulbs. These seem really close spec wise, and it would save some money ($8 for 4, vs $40+)

7. monkeypie102

Oh yeah that puts you at about 3w/g I think it would work great :)

8. monkeypie102

IMG_20121225_011515.jpg
    Is that what yours looks like? If so then yes the bulbs will work :) this was the too my bro used then gave to me when he upgraded to bigger tanks and i stayed small :)

9. jetajockey

jetajockey Fishlore VIP Member

I really don't like to throw around WPG since it's really hit and miss but I know for sure that 2 cfls over a 10g is a good amount of light, possibly too much depending, so if you start having algae issues you'll know the culprit.

10. OP
    OP
    f

I'm running 2 aquarium 10w now. Another burned out, fixed the lid where water vwas getting thru, now trying to cut replacement cost ( and up grade second tank from incandescent so I don't have to worry about hours of natural light a day)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice