would this work??

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by melovefish, Nov 29, 2012.

1. m

melovefish Valued Member Member

i have 30 gallon tank 19in tall 30in long 12 in deep. i want to do live plants 2-3 discus and some tetras.diy wet dry and a bio wheel. is my tank not big enough for 2-3 discus. i guess what im asking is would tht setup work? if you need more info just ask , ill reply or update this. thanks to anyone who replys!! thanks:D

2. Fashooga

Fashooga Fishlore VIP Member

In theory it would work...but if it's your first time fish keeping, you might want hold off until your confident enough or have the $$$ to fork over for those guys.

3. OP
    OP
    m

melovefish Valued Member Member

fork them over??? do you mean kill them

4. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

No. :)
    Fork over means to hand over.

5. Mer-max

Mer-max Well Known Member Member

Yeah they are high. I'm scared to get them without life insurance lol

6. l

luke355027355027 Well Known Member Member

Really no. For two reasons.
    1. Discus are extremely needy fish and need pristine water conditions therefore they arent good beginner fish. If you do decide to get discus i would do a lot of research on them beforehand.
    2. I believe a 30 gallon is too small for discus.
    3. Is also about the tank discus need pristine water the bigger tank the easier it is to keep the water clean. A minimum tank size for discus is about 55 gallons.

7. jetajockey

jetajockey Fishlore VIP Member

This should be in a different section since it's in regard to stocking, that may be why you haven't gotten any responses yet (besides that it's only been a few hours).
    To answer your question, no, discus do not belong in a 30g, it could be doable as a breeders type isolation setup, but as a long term display tank I wouldn't try it. Discus are social and really should be in groups of 4-6 or more, and with water quality being the key issue for them, bigger is better. So I wouldn't even begin to consider them unless you had a 55g or larger to work with.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice