Would this work? Question

1. cameronpalte Member Member

Hey Guys.
    I have a 2.5g hospital tank that I am working on setting up and making nicer. I don't have a working filter yet so I was wondering if I could use an Aqueon 10 for it (100 gallons per hour) and if that would be safe. Thanks ahead.

2. sirdarksol Fishlore Legend Member

It could be. The only thing to worry about is whether or not it turns the tank into a whirlpool. I'd say try it out. If it produces too much current, you can put something in/under the outflow of the filter in order to baffle the water flow. Does that make sense?

3. cameronpalte Member Member

Yeah I think your saying, try it out and if it works out than thats fine and if it doesn't work out, than try to block part of the area where the filter draws in water to slow down the flow and make it less dangerous.

Ok then thanks!

4. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

I would try to put some sponges into the outfall of the filter to help slow down the flow.

You could put a sponge over the intake of the filter (which will help slow the flow as well) and then put one in the outfall of the filter, this would give you a bit more mechanical filtration for the filter unit and add some bio mass area to the outfall of the filter while also slowing the rate at which the water enters the tank.

5. cameronpalte Member Member

Ok, thanks for the suggestions. I am also wondering since I don't own a filter yet but that was the one I was looking into getting in, so if that doesn't work (it probably will especially with sponge). Are there any other filter's that you recommend? Thanks for advice!

6. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

for a 2.5 and esspecially as a hospital tank I would highly recommend a simple small sponge filter with an air pump, you can easily keep it in your regular tank to help keep it cycled and move it as needed to the hospital tank. It doesnt produce a strong current at all which will be appreciated by any sick fish who are already stressed and need to relax.