Would this work...

1. RTBS Member Member

I have a 20 gallon long tank with two African clawed frogs...

Can I add a single betta to this tank?

If not please let me know what I could add... Thanks!

2. fbn Well Known Member Member

ACFs are better off alone. They would probably try to eat the betta.

3. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Yeah, the betta would get munched.

4. RTBS Member Member

Any suggestions for tankmates?

5. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

a golden wonder killi?

6. RTBS Member Member

That's it jaysee?

7. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Well, I don't know much about clawed frogs, but I get the sense that they eat fish so I suggested something that stays at the surface. I don't know how good they are at catching fish, or I would suggest a trio (mating bahavior will leave them vulnerable).

8. RTBS Member Member

Well they eat small fish so... Are there any fish over 3 inches suitable for a 20 gallon long tank?

9. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

ACFs will eat (or try to, anyway) anything that they think can fit into their mouths. Lots of people keep them with full grown Fancy Goldfish. Anything thats physically bigger than they are is safe. So, nothing that'll fit in a 20 long lol

10. RTBS Member Member

Yeah well I tried.. lol

11. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

The killis get big - 3 to 4 inches. They are very cool fish to keep. They don't do much unless they are eating or mating, both of which they will do everyday. They are voracious predators, so if you are into that you can feed them live foods.

12. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

I think the width of the fish is important, too. I could see the frog sucking it up like a noodle XD

13. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

If the tank were a 29 I would say no way, but because it's a 20 high, there's not much separation between the surface and the bottom so maybe. I find it difficult to find GW killis for sale that are of any size.

14. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Do you mean 20 long? lol I've only ever seen betta-sized GWs for sale. Not sure how fast they grow, though lol

15. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

yes, that's what I meant - 20 long.

All I can get are guppy sized fish. They live for a few years, much longer than most killis.

You can get them that big??

16. RTBS Member Member

Have u ever seen an ACF eat a betta?

17. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Lol I was like "Did I miss something...?"

Yeah, at PetSmart! They're about 2 1/2-3 inches... Guppy-size... Thats really small o_O

18. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I've been trying to get some larger females for months....

19. RTBS Member Member

Betta are 2.5 to 3 inches?

20. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

yes, and I would expect a betta to be eaten. Not right away, but once it's fins are shredded it can't swim as fast....