would this work for a sump?

Discussion in 'DIY - Do It Yourself' started by monkeypie102, Dec 31, 2012.

1. monkeypie102Well Known MemberMember

If your following it I am building a 26g bowfront saltwater tank, well not building but starting. Anyways I like the idea of the sump now that i actuallu understand what it is and that it is useful in everything could be added into it (ie water changes/caps, heater, potien Skimmer, ect.) Anyways I found this vid on YouTube and was wondering if it would be good for the 10g sump I want to use...

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=LmjSkLW9byg&desktop_uri=/watch?v=LmjSkLW9byg

That is the Mobil URL (on my tablet) he kept saying something about a deep sand bed for it... what is that used for?

2. chevyguy8893Well Known MemberMember

A 10 gallon would work, but if you are going to put the work into building a sump I would go with a 20L if you have the space. That way you could add a larger refugium, if you wanted one, with a DSB for nitrate removal, more room for equipment, and a larger water volume. It could possibly be used on a larger tank in the future depending on the design. Unless you have a 10 gallon already to use.

With a DSB you don't disturb the sand at all which allows for anaerobic bacteria to grow. These bacteria process the nitrates making for a more stable system. In that video it looks like they only had two glass dividers for the bubble trap, but from what I have read three is much more efficient with a saltwater setup, but that could be wrong since I haven't done saltwater. I also wouldn't use acrylic for dividers since silicone doesn't form a strong bond with acrylic, plus glass is much cheaper already cut. Some have used acrylic with no problems though.

3. monkeypie102Well Known MemberMember

I am confused... you say do a 20L but I used the conversion thing on the bottom and that is only 5.5g... why not just use a 10g? And i have a 10g already on hand to use just need to buy the acrylic/glass... as I said in my thread for the actual display tank I am on a budget so I have to get which ever one is cheaper...

All the sumps I have seen have 3 chambers for bubble traps so mine will be the same as i don't want to risk it since it seems bubbles in a saltwater tank are bad (why is this?)

Also what would be a good return pump and how the heck does water go into the sump from the tank?

4. Mer-maxWell Known MemberMember

He meant 20 gallon long, not 30 liters

5. monkeypie102Well Known MemberMember

Oh *facepalm* I knew that... and right now all I have is a 10g

If its possible I have a 10g and a 5g both empty maybe I could rig them together? But I am not really machanically enclined so how i have no clue :/

Last edited: Dec 31, 2012
  6. chevyguy8893Well Known MemberMember

Ah ok, I didn't know what you had on hand, so I just threw that size tank out there :). The 10 gallon should still work fine though. Sorry, I didn't see the other thread, so I missed that.

I believe the purpose of the bubble trap is to prevent micro bubble from getting into your equipment and causing problems.

I don't think it would work to run two tanks together, but it may be possible somehow. I've never seen it done, but that doesn't say much :). You could have the 5 gallon on hand for an auto top-off system if you chose to have one in the future. Getting water from the main tank to the sump can be done by having the tank drilled if it isn't tempered glass, this removes the possibility of a break in the siphon. Also, an overflow box could be used which could result in a siphon loss even though many haven't had issues with that. I am not very good with determining what would be a good return pump, so hopefully someone else can help there. If I gave the wrong info it could be a catastrophe.

Here's a link that may help answer some questions better than I can.

7. monkeypie102Well Known MemberMember

You don't have to worry about giving bad info as i will Google any info as well as confer it on my main thread with others :) as my teacher says if you can find the info on 3 different sources chances are its good info!

Anyways I am not looking to have this built right this second so i may be able to get a 20g long as I still need to find a decent stand for the bowfront, I may have to build one, and by me i mean my brother xD

8. chevyguy8893Well Known MemberMember

I don't think I have found one subject in fish keeping that everyone agrees on lol. Anyway, it all depends on the turnover amount that has to be achieved with a saltwater tank. For my freshwater 29 with a 20L sump, I will have 3/4" PVC using an overflow box at roughly 300 GPH (overestimated) and the return pump is the same rate at 5 feet of head pressure with 3/4" acrylic tubing. Each size tubing has a different flow rate it is capable of under gravity or siphon.

I know what you mean, it took me 4 months to completely plan my tank build (and find the time to work on it) and I still changed things at the last minute lol. Then it has all come together within a week for the most part. If the petco $1 per gallon sale is still going on, that may work to your advantage :D.

9. monkeypie102Well Known MemberMember

I hate you people that live near a PETCO -_- we just have petsmart lol... or else I would have 2 55g already... anyways...

I understand lots of things change almost daily here in the fishy world. That's why I would confer with the people here on FL as well :) Ryan and rogue have been big helps already! And that site you have provided has been very helpful already :D

10. pirahnah3Fishlore VIPMember

A 10 would work as a sump but you could go some other routes as well, I have seen people use rubbermaid tubs and just pile a ton of rock in there and then put their other necesities in there with all the rock and sand. Keeps the main tank cleaner.

One guys setup that I saw has a 125 upstairs in his office plumbed to the basement and then 2 40gal frag tanks in the basement. he uses a huge pond type tub and its full of live rock and sand with his skimmer and heaters and all that. The tank in the office still has rock in it but not nearly as much as it would if it was a stand alone system.

He uses the tub as a giant tank and water storage area for the other tanks. All of those tanks have overflows plumbed to this tank and he has dedicated pumps for each tank. Really nicely done and makes things easy for him as he does all his WCs and such down there and doesnt have to disturb the main tank.

11. ryanrModeratorModerator Member

Not much for me to add to this conversation.

Micro bubbles are un-desirable because, a) bubbles in the tank look bad, b) there is some speculation that some live stock may not do too well.

Here's my setup:
    tankandsump.JPG