Would This Work For A 29g

1. s

sullivanbay94 Valued Member Member

Would this stocking work for a 29g aquarium?

4 dwarf gouramis
    6 cardinal tetras
    6 celestial pearl daninos
    6 cories
    ??? shrimp

I currently only that the dwarf gourami in a planted tank but an thinking about re homing 2 of them. How many shrimp and what kind would be best for the tank? could i add anything else? And would Panda cories be to big? would there be a better type of cory to put in or perhaps Kuhli loaches?

2. FishFor2018

FishFor2018 Well Known Member Member

Amano shrimp are a larger shrimp and cleaners i would get like 3-5. emerald cory's don't get big and are beautiful. everything else sounds good!
    Be sure to post pictures when the tank is done!

3. IHaveADogToo

IHaveADogToo Well Known Member Member

Before we talk about bottom dwellers, let's discuss substrate. What kind of substrate do you have in the tank? Is it fine like sand or is it rough and course like gravel? Bottom feeders like kuhli loaches and corydoras need sand substrate, because they shove their barbels into the sand and suck the sand up into their mouths. They sift the sand through their gills looking for tiny bits of food. You can see how this would be a problem with rough, course gravel. It could cut their gills, or get lodged inside them. Rough gravel can also cut and irritate the skin on loaches and corys.

That said, I do think kuhli loaches are perfect for a 29 gallon tank. Their minimum is listed around 10 gallons, though 20 is more comfortable, so 29 gallons is great. I would not advise mixing kuhli loaches and cory cats in the same tank, but a shoal of 6 or more of either one would love that tank. My personal recommendation is kuhli loaches, but corys should do okay in that size tank. Just beware, because most species of cory cat likes a lower temperature than most tropical fish do. I'm not sure about the panda corys, but the peppered corys, for example, like low to mid 70's. But the bronze corys (and most albinos, since they're usually albino bronzes) like it warmer, in the high 70's.

With your schooling fish, though, I would just pick one species. Instead of doing 6 tetras and 6 pearl danios, I'd just get a dozen of one species.

Shrimp should do fine in this tank. Amano or Cherry Shrimp. Ghost shrimp will do well, too, but they're not as colorful.

4. OP
    OP
    s

sullivanbay94 Valued Member Member

I have seachem black sand for a substrate so im hoping to see lots of activity from my sand sifting bottom dwellers :) I think i will go with the kuhlis they are just so neat! Question: I know with corys, tetras and other schooling fish that they like their own kind ex 2 panda corys would prefer mixing with 2 other panda corys as opposed to 2 pandas and 2 emerald... are kuhli loaches the same? can you mix the dark kuhlis with the yellow and black ones? or is it best to keep all one color?

5. IHaveADogToo

IHaveADogToo Well Known Member Member

Kuhlis are the same way. If you have some striped ones and some black ones, you will notice they prefer the company of their own type. Fish are kinda racist like that. Get 6 or more of the same kind.

6. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

I would do a group of honey gouramis rather than dwarfs, dwarfs will fight in groups, but can be kept in them in a larger tank, I wouldn't do it in a 29. The cardinal tetras prefer warmer water than the Celestial pearl danios.

I'd do this:
    10 neon tetras
    12 celestial pearl danios
    10 kuhli loaches
    4 honey gouramis
    3 amano shrimp
    15 red cherry shrimp
    2 nerite snails

Keep the temp around 72-73 Fahrenheit.