Would this work for a 29 gallon?

Aqualover

Hi I’m relatively new to the Fishkeeping hobby and I want to get some second opinions for my 29 gallon stocking idea

1 Bolivian ram
3 otocinclus
a school of white cloud minnows
and 1 mystery snail

I’ve heard that Bolivian rams should be kept in pairs and otos should be kept in schools of 5 or more but I’ve also heard of people keeping them successfully in smaller numbers what do you think

Ghelfaire

Just a heads up the white cloud minnows do best in unheated and and would be uncomfortable with the higher temperatures that the ram would need. Otocinclus are mostly wild caught and can be hard to keep.

There are tetras that look similar to the minnows if that's what you wanted. Blood fin tetras would look the closest.
Other options would be: pristella tetras, glowlight tetras, rummynose tetras or redeye tetras

If you wanted the minnows and a coldwater tank, switch the ram for a paradise gourami and the otos for panda corydoras.

Aqualover

Thanks for the advice I think I’ll keep the ram, maybe some tetras. Are there any beginner friendly alternatives to otos that can go with them? And is there any room left for more fish because I realized that I’d also like something that swims more at the middle/top too.

e_watson09

Otos are a really hard one. As already mentioned most are wild caught, they don't eat most commercial foods and most tanks don't have enough algae for them and they need to be in big groups.

I'd look into snails or something like that instead.

MasterPython

If you are putting in algea eaters you need to wait till they actually have algea to eat. Give it a few months to see if you need them.

Ghelfaire

If you just like the looks of a sucker fish you could get a smaller species of pleco. They will need driftwood and blanched vegetables added to their diet.

As for mid/top swimmers, the tetras you get will cover that area. I had black neon tetras that took over every area of the tank.

Aqualover

I think I have a good idea of what to get now, I’ll probably make up my mind on which tetras at my LFS and if they have any in stock a rubber lip pleco

Ghelfaire

Just make sure they don't accidentally sell you a common pleco.
Also add the pleco last, after the tank has matured a bit.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
philly27
Replies
Views
Megaanemp
Replies
Views
veggieshark
Replies