Would this tank be ok? (pics included)

Emily1234

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Just wondering if this tank would be ok for my betta???

josh11551

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
that is only a little over a gallon and i don't think anyone here would reccomend anything less that a 5 gallon,19L, tank for a betta.

Emily1234

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
really... in the pet shop they have them in glasses. I was more concerned about the height, would the height be to tall? It will be heated and filtered.

Rhan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Unfortunetly its not big enough at all

You can get great little aqua one start kits for similar prices though. Depending on what state your in, you should be able to find an aqua one stockist. I know petstock has them, as do several LFS around me.

You can also get 'Blue Planet' set ups as well, BFP sells them.

If I can find some good links, I'll post them here for you

EDIT:

I have a 340 pro (about 40 litres), had it for not quite 6 months, its fantastic There is also another one that has a similar filtration system to the 340 pro (so no icky undergravel filter), ummm the aqua style 126 I think. It's 21 litres, so it would be perfect

(the midi Hexy would be great, its 21 litres - the others in the hexy range are too small)

There are also other cheap start kits available that have 12 litre and 21 litre options. 12 litres would be the minium.

Another EDIT:
Just thought I'd point out, the glass cups aren't really good for the fish to live out its entire life in it. Sure, a saint bernard can live in a room the size of a jail cell - but will it thrive? Similar concept here. I always thought that bettas were fine in tiny tanks until I started researching here.

Emily1234

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
ok then thanks, i just didnt want a big tank because it is going to be in my room and i will have another larger tank (75L) in there as well. Would a 10 litre be ok?

Rhan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
10 litres would be ok - just keep in mind that by having a tall tank, there is less swim room than a longer one. The less capacity you have, the more you need to think about the swim room.

I am no expert on this, but I have read that bettas do need to be able to access air easily without getting to tired from the swim up. Some people suggesting having a broad-leafed silk or real plant for them to rest on, so that they can be closer to the surface if they want.

Sorry for all the edits before, I'm a bit scatterbrained at the moment lol

josh11551

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
yes Rhan you are correct. bettas shouldn't really be in a tall tank over the standard footprint aquariums for the liter size.10L is a decent size for a betta as long as it has filtration and heating. Bettas do not like strong current so make sure it isnt to strong. good luck

Emily1234

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
that's ok for the edits, umm i am just looking around for tanks. The maximum size i want to get would be 10L, any suggestions for this size tank with a filter and light? Thanks

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
The 10l would be the minimum we would suggest for a betta. This size tank will be fine, just make sure and cycle it first, you don't want to lose your new friend after spending so long researching a great home for him!

Emily1234

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Tigerfishy said:
This size tank will be fine
This tank is only 5.7 litres, are you saying this would be ok?

Rhan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'm out of ideas, sorry Hopefully someone else will come along and be able to suggest something though. I trawl ebay myself, there are a lot of second hand tanks around, but not only that, you might see one you like and be able to buy it new (as in finding ideas for another aussie-available brand). Good luck

bassbonediva

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Something like this one would be perfect for the size you're looking for:

josh11551

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
+1 paige!

bassbonediva

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
lol...thanks, Josh! It's amazing what one can do with Google and the proper search terms.

Rhan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
That would be perfect, Bassbonediva, if that brand was actually available in Aus
That little tank basically sums up what the OP needs, I believe.

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Emily1234 said:
This tank is only 5.7 litres, are you saying this would be ok?
No. Please read post number 5 and then post number 8........

EDIT: And in fact the post that you quoted says that straight after I mention the 10l tank.

Emily1234

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
oh ok sorry, i will probably get the one you mentioned thanks for all your help

bassbonediva

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Rhan said:
That would be perfect, Bassbonediva, if that brand was actually available in Aus
That little tank basically sums up what the OP needs, I believe.
That tank is available through Amazon, so I'm sure the OP could order it if need be. Not a bad price either.

claudicles

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Emily, just remember, the smaller the tank, the higher the maintainence, which might sound OK now but in a few years time daily or second daily water changes will be a real drag. A lot of fish don't live as long as they should because they are kept cramped and their owner loses the enthusiasm and lets their water get gradually worse. A slightly bigger tank now will save lots of time over the lifetime of the fish.

Keep us posted.

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Oh I forgot to say Emily.... Pertty pretty pretty pretty pretty please post us some pics when you're all set up!!

Not that I'm nosy about the fish at all, what gave you that idea lol?

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads