Would This Stocking Work?

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
I'd lose the angelfish or get a 29 long instead, those are the recommended minimum for angels

Giul

Well Known
What kind of cories were you thinking of? You could do a full group of 6 Pygmy cories to increase the school size. Also I would not reccomend an angelfish for this size tank as they get too large. A dwarf gourami, ram, or honey gouramI would work well for other centerpiece fish options.

As a side note be aware that mollies will breed like bunnies.

JaksAquatics

Well Known
a angelfish will not work, the corydoras need to be in a group of 6 and the rest seemes fine

BTW welcome to fishlore

Fashooga

Fishlore VIP
I don't think the BN Pleco will work in that tank as well. I think 20 is too small for them due to their tendencies to foul up the water.

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
That one would work great, though good luck getting a zebra for less than a few hundred if you don't mind me saying

OP
S

succman

I just looked it up and the cheapest was $169 could I maybe get a bristlenose pleco and give to my friend when it got to big? he is getting a 125 gallon and has a 55 right now... or I could do more often water changes

Fishcat

Well Known
Aren’t most albino corys Corydoras aeneus, same as bronze corys? Same species, so they would hang out together.

Smalltownfishfriend

Well Known
blue velvet keeper said:
you could do that bn plecos don't need a bigger tank they can live fine in a 10 gallon
That is not true. They are decent size messy fish that need a 29 gallon tank minimum in my humble opinion.

Katie13

Fishlore VIP
Smalltownfishfriend said:
That is not true. They are decent size messy fish that need a 29 gallon tank minimum in my humble opinion.
The minimum for them is a 24” by 12” footprint.

JaksAquatics

Well Known
OPPS!!! I ment 20 gallon not 10 gallon opps do not follow that lol

danhutchins

Well Known
I would not do mollies in a 20 gallon. They are large and messy. How about a few platies instead?
Confused on this one. Every Mollie I have seen has only been about 2 1/2 inches full grown. What type gets large? Even looking it up I don't see anywhere that says different.

OP
S

succman

that's what I thought too!

I would not do mollies in a 20 gallon. They are large and messy. How about a few platies instead?
how are they messy? I know people who have them and they are just fine

I had a rainbowshark that I had to return to the store maybe I could get him back?

Ravynn

Well Known
I like fish2345678765 said:
clown plecos are 150 dollars so probably not.....................

oh yeah would a rainbow shark be fine?
Clown plecos shouldn't be over $10-$15. Panaqolus maccus • Loricariidae • Cat-eLog - planet catfish

Rainbow sharks need a 4 foot tank.

Ravynn

Well Known
whoops I thought you meant zebra plecos.
Pictus catfish also need a 4 foot tank. You can't keep big fish in a 20 gallon, unfortunately.

could I get an eclipse catfish?
That needs a 150+ gallon/6 foot tank. I think you should do some research on some small fish that can live in a 20.

OP
S

succman

well I looked at it at petsmart and it said 20+ gallons so I just asked. I saw some upside down catfish at petsupermarket the other day and they looked small would they be fine?

Kanadian_Cutie

I have 2 angelfish in my 25 gallon and they are fine (the tank over 30 inches long). I've had them both for 3 years. They are not super big and they get along with the Danios, platies and neon tetras in my tank (no they have not eaten any of the little neons).

OP
S

succman

coould I maybe just get 1 as a centerpiece fish? the dimesions are Size: 20 Gallons: 24 in L x 12 in W x 16 in H

here are my current plans
a gourami
maybe my betta (really really needs an upgrade)
6 or 7 corys
3 mollys
and a bn pleco

Smalltownfishfriend

Well Known
that's what I thought too!

how are they messy? I know people who have them and they are just fine

I had a rainbowshark that I had to return to the store maybe I could get him back?
I have seen some that were four inches long!!! They have a surprising high bio load considering. Even the smaller ones produce quite a bit of waste on my experience.
coould I maybe just get 1 as a centerpiece fish? the dimesions are Size: 20 Gallons: 24 in L x 12 in W x 16 in H

here are my current plans
1 angelfish
6 or 7 corys
3 mollys
and a bn pleco
Honestly... bizaliz3 has lots of angels that are quite large. Go look at some pics of hers and ask yourself if you would really put a fish the size of a man's hand into that small of a tank. If taken care of angels do not stay small. I considered one for my 29 gallon but decided against it due to the size, even though 29 is considered the minimum for them. If you keep up with your water changes and are set on mollies they could work. I don't recommend it but it is up to you. Same with the pleco. He is going to contribute quite a bit of waste to your tank so if you really want one be prepared to spent a good bit of time cleaning up after him!!

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
No, you should definitely not get an angelfish for a 20 gallon community. I wouldn't even have an angel in a 20 by itself. Let alone sharing it with other community fish.

A 20 gallon is really pushing it for a BN pleco as well.

OP
S

succman

okay I won't get an angel ill just get a dwarf gouramI instead:banghead:

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
okay I won't get an angel ill just get a dwarf gouramI instead:banghead:
I understand the disappointment. Trust me! But it is the right thing to do :) So I am glad you are open to taking the advice.

Katie13

Fishlore VIP
Ravynn said:
What about this?
x1 clown pleco (needs driftwood)
x6-8 panda corydora
x4 male platies

I would recommend an Aquaclear 70 or equivalent as a filter for that stock.
Clown Plecos need warmer water than Panda Cory's. They also prefer warmer water than the Platies do.

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Personally in a 20 I would skip a pleco all together. If algae is a concern get a couple nerite snails. They do a better job. Now if you want a pleco for the sake of having a pleco there are a few that might work. Dwarf snowball is about the smallest. Pitbull pleco would be the next and more redialy available. Temp would be better with a pitbull for your cories and Platies.

OP
S

succman

ok thank you I am going to get
6 panda cories
3 platys or mollys
one pitbull or bristlenose pleco
and a gourami.
thanks

thank you!

OP
S

succman

.8 gallons
edit: I have a 3 gallon for him when I move some fish.

OP
S

succman

if I can't move him ill put him in the new one and maybe not get a gourami. he doesn't have a filter but he does have a heater.

New Threads