Would This Stock Work? 20 Gallon Tank | Page 9

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Mermish, Jun 3, 2019.

1. OP
    OP
    Mermish

MermishValued MemberMember

Okay cool thanks!

2. OP
    OP
    Mermish

Attached Files:

3. kallililly1973

kallililly1973Well Known MemberMember

IMO it absolutely is.

4. OP
    OP
    Mermish

Okay great, I never know because lt always looks different depending on the lighting.

5. kallililly1973

A lot of people that use the API kit feel that a very very slight tint of green (.25) is the new zero for the kit. and as long as you have a well established tank your BB will go to town on it and it'll be gone with no ill effects in no time. And if you ever have any doubts you can do a double dose of Prime to bind any possible ammonia and nitrites up to 1ppm. incase there is an issue you can't see right away in your tank.

6. OP
    OP
    Mermish

I really have trouble telling with ammonia and nitrate, but I feel like pictures of the nitrate tests always look more red in pictures than they do in person so it may be a little more orange in person, what ppm do you think this is?

Attached Files:

7. kallililly1973

My guess would be between 20-40ppm and a WC should be due soon.

8. nikm128

nikm128Fishlore VIPMember

20-40ppm

9. OP
    OP
    Mermish

I just did a water change. Here's the test. How's it look?

Attached Files:

10. OP
    OP
    Mermish

I think I accidentally bought a sick guppy. I didn't like the endlers selection at my lfs so I went for guppies but I think one is sick, should I quarintene it in a bucket? I'm in the process of acclimating them right now.

I really hope someone can answer me soon because a friend borrowed my quarantine tank so it have to be in my water change bucket and then I wouldn't have a spot for water changes and I'll be done acclimating them in about 10 min. thanksfor helping me!

I think I'll just add him and keep an eye on him and do freaquent water changes will that keep them from getting sick?

Could it just be a fun rip and he's having trouble swimming cuz it's ripped and not because it's sick

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2019
  11. wrs2

wrs2Well Known MemberMember

If he is sick and he’s in the main tank he can contaminate it and make all the fish sick.

12. OP
    OP
    Mermish

I'm not sure if he's sick, I think it might just be a large fin rip. What do you think I should do since I'm not sure.

Attached Files:

13. OP
    OP
    Mermish

I gave them garlic gaurd soaked blood worms, the guppies ate some even though I just got them today. A other two guppies look perfect. I'm not sure if this guy was just bullied or actually sick I wouldn't be worried about just the fin but it looks like there might be some white stuff on him. if I keep soaking their food and garlic as an immune booster and watch really good do you think that would be okay? I read on an article somewhere that is long as your fish were healthy that you could add sick fish into the tank and they should be able to fight off disease with a strong immune system would that be true?Quarantine: More Harm than Good?
    "I have added fish that I knew were sick with freshwater
    ich directly to display tanks because I knew that was the least stressful place for them to be. Because the tank was a better setup for them than they had been in they were no longer stressed and the ich went away without any intervention at all and no other fish got sick. I have also purchased fish from tanks where every other fish was sick. The fish I pick out and add directly to my display tanks never come down with anything, neither do any other fish in the tank.

If you control stress you will control disease. You do not have to quarantine. Buy fish from a high quality source, provide high quality food and water, and you will rarely encounter any illnesses in any of your fish."

14. OP
    OP
    Mermish

I think my male honey gouarmi might have trouble eating. It seems healthy by the way it looks, but it didn't come out to eat just a little bit ago when I fed them, and last time I said it didn't eat much and I saw it put food in its mouth and spit it out and tried eat it and wasn't able to swallow it. I think it might have extra skin on its mouth or something. Would brushing a jel food on the inside of a cave help?

15. OP
    OP
    Mermish

@Kjeldsen @wrs2 @nikm128
    @midna
    I really like how my aquarium looks right now and don't want it to seem overcrowded, since I didn't get the Cory's yet so I was thinking about the 2 ADFs like I thought of before since I could do a such a small group. I previously decided against them because of feeding issues with how much platties love food. How big are ADFs mouths? Is there a way I could make gel food too big for platties to eat? Or possibly feed them bloodworms that we're still frozen in chunks? I always thaw blood worms would the frozen bottoms cause health issues if left unthawed? The platties tend to stay out of the one corner but that's my male HG's territory, and I wouldn't want to make him more shy, but if it wouldn't cause him to be more shy and would help I could put a food tray for them there (my male hg doesn't eat much is it possible that could help him?) Sorry I changed it! I know I'm probably being annoying, but now that I see how it looks with guppies I don't think right more fish would look right. Also I've heard that male African dwarf frogs croak at night, would female African dwarf frogs be silent? How hard is it to tell the difference between male and female ADF

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
  16. OP
    OP
    Mermish

(The male guppy that looked off has been doing good and nothing in the tank seems sick,I going away two weeks before getting anything else just in case but I don't think that anything is wrong.)

I didn't mean to make this a separate post I was just trying to edit the other one. How do you delete a reply if you make one by accident?

17. nikm128

Their mouths are on the larger side compared to their body size, but I don't really think they're fast enough to get food with anything other than sinking wafers. You would have to try and slip some in while the platties are eating their regular food, I don't think frozen bloodworms would sink fast enough for the frogs to get any. Sexing them is fairly difficult from what I'm reading, but usually only the males will sing and that's only if they share the tank with a female(s).

18. OP
    OP
    Mermish

Does that mean it won't work? If I fed them with chopsticks instead of a baster couldn't I just not let go of it for the platties? Can you get just one so they don't croak at night?

19. wrs2

wrs2Well Known MemberMember

I have never kept ADFs as I’m not a frog guy, but I think they are better kept in a tank just to themselves.

20. nikm128

I'm not really sure, sorry. @Coradee or another mod would you happen to know of anyone good with ADF's?