Would this set up work?

VA_Fish_Keeper

Reaction score
My first post! ;D

Hello all,
I am seeking some advise on fish compatibility. I love the look of Bala Sharks, and would love to keep a group of them. However, I also love the look of small tetras. Is keeping a group of Bala Sharks and Tetras a bad idea? Even if the tank I want to get is 125 gallons? What about larger fish, such as Silver Dollars?

Thanks!
-Andrew

Icicle

Valued Member
Reaction score
I have 3 bala sharks and I love them!

HOWEVER: Once your Balas grow larger they are known to eat Tetras I have been told. If its small enough to fit in their mouths they will eat it.

Sorry..... :-\

susitna-flower

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Welcome to fishlore. I am glad if you want baba sharks, that you already know you need a large tank! As to whether they will cause trouble with tetras, I think it would depend on how small the tetras are. I have a school of 9 cardinal tetras and two balas in my community tank. I have never lost a tetra, but then it might change when the sharks get larger. They are currently approx. 6". One way you can try it, is if you provide lots of plants and dividing obstacles in your tank, places the smaller fish can duck behind if they are in the path of the balas. If that is what you love, I would try it, at least once. The balas like to be in a group also, you should get at least 3 of them, and they will keep each other busy swimming around! Be sure to read all the posts in the section below on this page titled, Fish Tank Beginners Guides, it should help you get off on the right track. Also check out in the Freshwater section the Species section for the fish you want, it will help you know more about each fish before you buy. You can also Google each fish by name, and you can reasearch before you buy. Gook Luck!

Fish in the Frozen North 8)

Goldfishcare

Valued Member
Reaction score
susitna-flower said:
  Welcome to fishlore.    I am glad if you want baba sharks, that you already know you need a large tank!   As to whether they will cause trouble with tetras, I think it would depend on how small the tetras are.   I have a school of 9  cardinal tetras and two balas in my community tank.   I have never lost a tetra, but then it might change when the sharks get larger.   They are currently approx. 6".   One way you can try it, is if you provide lots of plants and dividing obstacles in your tank, places the smaller fish can duck behind if they are in the path of the balas.    If that is what you love, I would try it, at least once.   The balas like to be in a group also, you should get at least 3 of them, and they will keep each other busy swimming around!   Be sure to read all the posts in the section below on this page titled, Fish Tank Beginners Guides, it should help you get off on the right track.  Also check out in the Freshwater section the Species section for the fish you want, it will help you know more about each fish before you buy.   You can also Google each fish by name, and you can reasearch before you buy.   Gook Luck!

Fish in the Frozen North  8)
Baba sharks. I think you meen bala sharks.: This is some information you may:- Bala Sharks Adult size- 30cm - Tetras - 5cm.

susitna-flower

Well Known Member
Reaction score
So right Goldfishcare :-[ glad you pointed out my typo. It is a good thing to keep us all on our toes!

Fish in the Frozen North.

VA_Fish_Keeper

Reaction score
Thanks guys, guess Bala Sharks and small Tetras are out. But, does anyone have any thoughts on putting Bala Sharks and Silver Dollars in the same tank?

Thanks!
-Andrew

susitna-flower

Well Known Member
Reaction score
VA_Fish_Keeper, I don't know anything about Silver Dollars, but can tell you IF you want tetras, just a larger variety that are beautiful, I would suggest Congo Tetras. They are also schooling fish, but grow to about 3-3.5 inches. They have lovely long fins, and great colors. I have them in with my Bala Sharks, and they get along great. You have a tank large enough to experiment with some medium sized fish.

Fish in the Frozen North 8)

starshine

Reaction score
I agree...larger tetras should be fine with Balas til the Balas get larger. Balas have fairly small mouths for the size of the fish, so your tetras should be safe for quite a long while, if not forever. If you see a problem developing...hey, a great reason to buy a new tank! ;D

Neville

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
VA_Fish_Keeper said:
Thanks guys, guess Bala Sharks and small Tetras are out. But, does anyone have any thoughts on putting Bala Sharks and Silver Dollars in the same tank?

Thanks!
-Andrew
hi starshine!!! silver dollars grow up to 6-7 inches, they r schooling fish u have to keep 4 of them in a tank, they r very shy and peaceful.

bbfeckawitts

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Neville said:
VA_Fish_Keeper said:

Thanks!
-Andrew
hi starshine!!! silver dollars grow up to 6-7 inches, they r schooling fish u have to keep 4 of them in a tank, they r very shy and peaceful.
Most silver dollars get 5inches, and some species can get up to 8 inches. I have 2 in my tank, they are amazing. You don't need to keep 4 of them in a tank. They are so pretty. You will not be disapointed with them.
-Brianna

VA_Fish_Keeper

Reaction score
Thanks guys, guess its Bala Sharks and Silver Dollars! Now, since I know that this set up would work fish-wise, I need to start thinking about the mechanicals of the tank, but just one step at a time. First thing, filtration. I have only worked with my small (10 Gallon) tank and all it uses for filtration is a UGF and a Whisper 20 Filter. I love the convience of External filter and would like to have an Emperor 400 or two on the back of my 125, which is made by All-Glass. Would the Emperors be enough? Or should I step up to something more powerful, such as an external canister filter?

-Andrew

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom