Would this set up work for a betta?

BlueRaccoon

Hello,

I'm mainly trying to figure out if my flow or current would be too much for a betta. I can't seem to find info other than they like calmer waters. I have a 55g, with 2 Fluval Aquaclear 70s and a air stone. I use the surface agitation to break the biofilm on the surface. Thoughts? Is this ok for a short finned betta, or is it way too much?

Ghelfaire

It might be a bit much but if you find a way to create a small are with a lower flow and have lots of resting places near the top it should be fine

BigManAquatics

They definitely tend to prefer lower flow, but as stated, there are ways to make it happen. Sponge filters is usually what i use. But you can cut up water bottles to baffle the flow coming out of the filters as well. Do your aquaclears have adjustable flow rates?

BlueRaccoon

They definitely tend to prefer lower flow, but as stated, there are ways to make it happen. Sponge filters is usually what i use. But you can cut up water bottles to baffle the flow coming out of the filters as well. Do your aquaclears have adjustable flow rates?
They do have a lower setting, it just doesn't seem like it makes a huge difference. What's more important the surface movement, of the flow the filters are pulling in? Or both....? Thanks for the thoughts!

BigManAquatics

They do have a lower setting, it just doesn't seem like it makes a huge difference. What's more important the surface movement, of the flow the filters are pulling in? Or both....? Thanks for the thoughts!
I had to experiment for awhile with this back in the day, it always seemed if the flow coming out was high, thats what bugged my bettas the most. But baffling it can help a lot, still givds you the agitation for the surface, just kind of diverts more to the sides so the fish has more of the tank to enjoy without so much flow to bug it.

BlueRaccoon

I had to experiment for awhile with this back in the day, it always seemed if the flow coming out was high, thats what bugged my bettas the most. But baffling it can help a lot, still givds you the agitation for the surface, just kind of diverts more to the sides so the fish has more of the tank to enjoy without so much flow to bug it.
Thank you! That makes sense. I appreciate the help.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
StarGirl
Replies
Views
Frank the Fish guy
  • Question
Replies
Views
PNWBettas
Replies